Sunday, February 26, 2017

Busy Week

Last week along with the weekend got busy, and next week may get that way too, but I guess that's life.  On Thursday I had a tree fall on the electric line running into my house.  It's also has other lines that run parallel that have the cable and phone lines, so I need those lines up and running.  Thankfully it didn't break the lines or cause the pole to fall over.  Such is the life living in the country.  When my dad had this house built he probably didn't foresee such problems or that one of his kids would be living here years later.   The other thing that came up is that my truck needs a new battery.  I took it to AutoZone yesterday, but the guy helping me saw where one of the battery cables had some corrosion on it, and he said they weren't allowed to mess with them in that condition as, I guess, they could break the connection--company policy type thing.  So, I came home, cleaned off the cable, and thought I'd look around on the computer first for auto battery deals.  Looks like Walmart might be my best bet, and I'll get an oil change too.

Tuesday, I've got an electrician coming over to give me a bid on laying the electric cable underground.  I don't know all the ramifications of that.  I know they do that in larger cities and urban neighborhoods, but that's about it.  I don't know how much it'll cost, but I thought I better look into it, as there are many tall trees behind the house.  It's either that, or clear the land of more trees, or move.  At least I'll get more knowledge from the electric contractor, and go from there.

I ran into a podcast today on the Japanese anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion.  Some may be familiar with this series, so I thought they might be interested in listening to the podcast.  I listened to the introductory podcast where the poster talks about growing up living in Chicago and first watching anime.  His voice was pleasant enough and he seemed seemed knowledgeable enough to offer some good insight.  I went over to his Facebook page and left a comment on how I enjoyed listening to his podcast.  If you've never seen the animation of Evangelion, you can probably still find episodes on Youtube, and if not there just do a Google.  I'm sure they're still around.  It's an anime that's about these young people that suit-up in these giant robot armor to combat super large aliens known as Angels.  Over the run of the anime, the characters change and grow, and it's all done rather well.  Here's a link to that podcast if you would like to hear them. 

The guy that does the Evangelion podcast also recommended a Godzilla podcast as well.  That one I haven't heard yet, but bookmarked it for a future listen.   If kaiju and the Big G is more your thing, you can listen to those here.

Last night while waiting on the Dr. Who episode to air on our PBS network, I was watching a few things off Roku.  On the Crackle channel I saw where they had some anime of a couple of Marvel characters.  They didn't have the full runs, just the initial first episodes, which is a shame, but at least I could watch those.  The best one of the bunch for me was Blade.
You're probably already familiar with Blade from the Westley Snipes pictures from some years back.  He plays a half human, half vampire that is a vampire hunter.  I enjoyed those well enough, but there were aspects of the overall feel of them at the same time that were a bit of a turnoff for me.  I think most of that came from the bloated "I'm a badass" feel of the show.  It was too much of an archetype for my taste, but for what it was they were okay.   At any rate, I still think it's a pretty good story just not handled as well as it could have been.  The anime Blade though seemed well made or struck me as being better and well suited for the anime experience, granted I've only watched the first episode.  Marvel - Japan made four of these type animes:  Blade, X-Men, Wolverine, and Iron Man.  If interested you can find clips and some of the episodes on Youtube.  I'm sure you can find them online as well with a little searching.
 



2 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I have tree issues also, but not from the street to my house where the line is underground. My cul-de-sac street was built back in the ‘70s (by my dad’s construction company actually) also with underground lines, but those lines feed off the overhead lines along the much older road (one that appears on 275-year-old maps) to which my street connects. With all the snow and ice and wind and trees in these parts, power goes out with some regularity. On my own property, so long as falling trees miss the house I’m happy. Country problems beat many of the other kind – or so I feel these days. Downtown beckoned in my youth.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Well, I like living here generally speaking. I enjoy being away from neighbors, more specifically their dogs that bark, sometimes kids, boomboxes, or loud radios are unpleasant too. I hear that type thing ever so often, but at least there's a bit of distance between us. I can't believe those insane cars that boom boom, and you really don't hear any music, it's just vibration and bass tones. Sometimes I think that's the sign our civilization is on a downhill slide, but it just may be the morons that have such things. Oh, I cranked the 8-track too, but those things are 10X the volume.

Dog barking drives me nuts too. The occasional thing I can handle, but a constant yapping drives me nuts. When I moved from W Texas the next door neighbor that moved in next door had I think four or six yapping chihuahuas. Not cool. Animal control would not do anything. Just about ruined me on pets. Not meaning to sound grumpy, but it does brighten my country day on living out here. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home