Monday, December 12, 2016

Radio Garden

I'm posting this as I ran across it today while surfing the web and now I'm listening to a radio station up in New Brunswick, NJ at Rugers University.  Pretty cool, huh?  It's at WRSU.Rutgers.edu so my guess is that it is the college station up there.  On of the down side it does not have a way to find out who or what music is play as you listen.  That is to say it doesn't list the current songs playing with text or who is playing at the moment or during the past half hour or whatever.

Okay, the station at Rutgers just played "So What" by Miles Davis, the disc jockey just announced that, so at least some djs will tell you who just played, others don't.  Still if you are into casual listening, it's great, and it goes all over the world.  You just have this little turnstile type map, and you just move it with your mouse, and you can go all over the globe.  It would help too if the map was a little easier to read or had some lines around it like a regular globe sort of like they had in school.  I'm a music lover so it's a cool little site.  Here's a link so you can check it out yourself.

Another feature that would be a nice addition would be a way to bookmark some of your favorite station finds.  For example if I wanted to bookmark that Rutgers station there would be a way to do that, but so far there isn't.  I'm guessing this is Radio Garden (as it is called) is new, so it's in its infancy.  Hopefully they'll add new features and stuff to it over time.  But yeah, a book marker would be great.  I like this station at Rugers though, they play a broad range of music.
There's another site on the web that I've found to my liking as I like jazz, but they also have other genre over there as well.  You can find it at: accuradio.com   I've been listening to their avant garde radio and there's one for ECM jazz, which is sort of a moody type jazz, which lately has mirrored the winter type weather here lately, although ECM jazz can be diverse too at times.  I tend to think of it as being reflective in nature though.  At any rate, if you enjoy music give them a try too.  It's one of my go-to spots when in the mood for music. 






2 comments:

Richard Bellush said...

College stations are often pretty innovative. They don't have the same need to be commercial. I hadn't thought about global station surfing, but that's pretty cool. Besides, who knows if the next big thing is already dominating the airwaves in Moldova?

I dedicate a Word page to the links I want to save. I don't often remember to update it though.

El Vox said...

That's true, Moldova you say? Ha.

Word page, do you do that on actual paper, or create a Word document with those links on it. I wish there was site that improved bookmarking. I use bookmarks on the computer, but it becomes a bit unwieldy at times. I probably need to update and categorize better. Always something. :)