Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Arabella of Mars

Arabella of Mars sounds like the type book I'd enjoy, and also the type book Hollywood would want to option for a movie.  It also reminds me of something akin what anime craftsman, Hayao Miyazaki, might have created.  I wish I could speed read about five times or more at the level I presently read at as there are far too many books I'll never get around to reading for various reasons.  I have a fantasy invention: What if scientist invented a chip you could install someway that activates the brain, and you could just skim books like those speedy readers of older television ads, you know the guys that just skim with their fingers down a page, and flip the page.  It looks like they could finish off a novel in a couple of hours--the time taken to flip thru each page.   There used to be a fashionable course or method to that some years back promoted by Evelyn Wood.  You don't hear much about that these days.

Anyway, I have too many distractions to be a very in depth reader.   Below though I'll post a link to an interview with the author David D. Levine.  He talks a bit about the craft of writing.  In it he says his approach to writing is to write clean.  In other words, he sort of proofreads and keeps his errors and such updated and to a minimum before moving too far along.  I think that would be the way I'd probably go about it, and might be the standardization for many other writers.  Just seems natural, to proofread your work before you move too far along on unless your story and ideas are just too immediate that they just compel one to manically get it all down.  And if all that inspiration or chunk of the story is coming to you so fast and furious, you'd probably be better off just outlining it, then go back and begin writing.   With writing like a lot of the arts, there are several ways to go about the craft.  I find that is true to some degree with creating visual art, photography, writing poems, songs, etc.  They sort of come in stages (or at least to me they do).  They first appear as ideas, I jot them down on paper to capture the initial idea, then try and produce some sort of rough cut.  Then you have to shape and work that into something.  I, unfortunately, can't say that anything has ever come to me fully formed, although I've heard artist claim that that does happen to them ie. Neil Young says that is the case for him, and maybe Paul Simon.  It must be wonderful to be so talented and have that gift.

At any rate, here's a review of what Arabella of Mars is about, and below that is the interview with the author.






2 comments:

Richard Bellush said...

I know what you mean about time.

This sounds reminiscent of “The Number of the Beast,” a 1980 novel by Robert Heinlein. This features a “many worlds” scenario, and the main characters’ have a craft that can jump from one alternate reality to another. One of those realities has different enough physics from ours that low-tech solar sails – not much larger or more tenuous than those on sea vessels – can power spacecraft among the planets. Accordingly, there are 19th century-style steam-punkish settlements on Mars with the British, French, and Russian Empires vying for dominance while all of them subjugate the native population.

16th century works too. I wonder if Shakespeare is a Martian?

El Vox said...

I wonder what it is that as we grow older time seems to speed up? My parents or older people I knew when I was younger used to feel that way as well. The Number of the Beast sounds interesting and it's fun to note that steam punk isn't really that new a phenomena, depending on how one determines it, or else I guess that genre just takes a look back at Wells, Verne, and others for its influences.