Sunday, October 09, 2016

Star Wars: And Yet Another Sequel

Unless you live under a rock somewhere on Altair IV, you know there's a Star Wars movie slated for the end of the year.  I'm as big a Star Wars geek as the next Storm Trooper walking around Comic Con, so I know, unless it's a huge critical bomb, I'll be warming a slightly worn stadium seat with my trusty buttered popcorn in hand when it arrives.  I enjoyed Star Wars: A Force Awakens, and I think it helped reboot a franchise that I think even some of the diehard fans felt was needed. 

I read somewhere that it was these  blockbusters like the Marvel films, the endless Fast and Furious movies, the action films, or what-have-you, that keep the money flowing so that Hollywood can occasional make the smaller or less known films.  So I guess it's all good in the end, unless you're like me at times, and you sort of get fed up with them after a while--haters gotta hate syndrome.   But I know in the end, that's what they are, and two, I like some of those films as well.   I'm not a very sophisticated movie critic.  There are enough films out there that no matter what you love or hate to go around, and in the end enough to please most people. 

Here recently I've been watching some horror films.  'Tis the season.  Just this past weekend, I saw Beyond Re-Animator (a sequel to Re-Animator) based on a H. P. Lovecraft story.  For a sequel it wasn't too bad.  They closely followed the original film, had a love story as part of the plot,  Jeffery Combs reprises his role as Dr. Herbert West, and as the film goes along it goes right off the rails with the horror and violence as the first picture did.  Sometimes that's all that's need in a sequel.  That's one of the reasons Star Wars I, II, and III didn't vary a lot from IV: New Hope, V, and VI.   Fans I think want to revisit some of the original story, and experience or try to recapture some of that warm fuzzy a second time around.  For the most part it works, it works as far as a retelling device goes.  Of course now with the computers, forums, and the like, fans and people of all ilk can hash and argue over whether or not it worked.  For a SF fan or genre geek, it's their playground at the water cooler like sports might have been or still is at one time. 

I saw a shift in that at the office as a matter of fact.  When I hired out and was the new greenhorn learning the ropes, I worked around older gentlemen.  Then they talked about family, some sports, household fix it stuff, farming, or some such.  As the years went by, and a newer generation came in, you saw a slight shift.  They'd still talked about family to a degree, sports, but also throw in something about Star Wars, South Park, and so on.  Pop culture was getting more mainstream.

Anyway, I'm bloviating a bit here.   A friend sent me something comical covering the Star Wars franchise so I thought I'd shared it here in case you had not seen it.  I'd not seen or knew of Mr. Plinkett's views over at Youtube.  It is pretty funny.



4 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

People talk about what they can share. As our lives grow ever more divorced from the real world, I suppose the pop culture of the virtual world is bound to grab an ever larger share of the conversation.

Though I do like the original trilogy and the recent Disney reboot, I’ve never been an intense Star Wars fan. Nonetheless, I too, likely will catch the next one assuming the early reviews are generally positive.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I'm as guilty as the next for being a Star Wars fan. I don't go to extremes, but I enjoy the mythos and stories. The same is true for a lot of genre fiction. I'd have to agree with you on the virtual world or pop culture. It has encroached into our lives ever more with the internet. It's always been there, but without the net, it always seemed more removed, but you could find like-minded fans that you could relate to thru magazines, comics, and the like. It seems smaller. Although the computer may have caused the demise of some of the printed magazines and such I think I prefer it this way--more access.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

I'm looking forward to "Rogue One"' even though there was supposedly a lot of turmoil during production - as in the original director didn't finish the film. What I liked about the concept was that it was a new group of protagonists dealing with he grittier and more war torn part of the story of Star Wars. That is something my friends and I did when we played as kids, and when we were in high school playing the Star Wars Role Playing Game. You basically created your own characters who joined the rebellion and you tackled missions to thwart the Empire. The timeline for the RPG took place right after "A New Hope", and we played for a couple years. Got them up to the Battle of Hoth which was a lot of fun. Got to write adventures for them at the soldier level during those scenes in Empire and it got really gritty.

Anyway when the trailer came out my wife turns to me and says, "Holy crap, that looks like one of the adventures you threw at us." I have to say, I wasn't consulted on the script - so if it stinks you can't blame me. ;)

Anyway, I'm very curious to see if the tone is as dangerous and war torn as the trailers look, because I think that would be an intriguing direction for Star Wars to take in these side films.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yeah, Roman that would be awesome, and if done well could spinoff it's own sequels, which wouldn't bother me. Heck the more the merrier.

I bought some of those Star Wars Tales collected edition comics by Dark Horse which was an anthology done by different writers and artist. I liked that it had this smorgasbord of stories and art so you never knew what you were going to read going into it. Some were funny, some were series, some lighter, and some darker. With a big universe like that it can go in any direction. That's why I found it a bit odd when (who ever it was Lucas? or Disney?) announced by someone in charge: Okay, all those previous Star Wars stories are now bunk, we will not be producing the "true" mythology. Yeah, whatever... Seemed silly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home