Monday, October 17, 2016

Art Geek Monday

I've been busying myself lately with making art work.  There's an art show coming up at the end of the week, and if I'm going enter I need to get something officially together as the deadline is Friday.  I think it's doable.  It's just a matter of what I decide to enter.  You can enter three pieces, and then they get judged by a panel from the gallery. 

I'm a bit indifferent to it all, but most of the time I enjoy the experience.  The above art is by me (a photo).  The theme of the show is called, Glassy and Glossy.  Yes, it's vague theme as most are, but it allows one to brainstorm and fit some kind of art into that subject.  It went on to say something like be as creative as you like and try to meet both criteria.   That's a bit hard as in my mind they are so closely related (somewhat), but I think the above work applies.  I'm still putting a few things together. 

I was surprised with the last showing that I entered.  I entered three pieces of art, all photos, one which had been digitally altered.  They chose two of them for the show.  Well, I attended the opening and looked around to see what everyone else had entered.   Tyler is a fairly small-ish town, but don't undersell the artist here.  There are quite a few, and most are very good.   Anyway, when I went to go pick up my artwork on the day of closing, I was told one of my pieces had sold.  Surprised the heck outta me.   So that made my day.  I asked who had bought it, and I didn't know the buyer.  So that made me feel even better because the patron, being a stranger just found the art work pleasing in and of itself without having any other familiarity.   So yay me.


Speaking of art and nerdy stuff, I ran into this interview with SF artist Vincent Di Fate over at the Omni magazine site.  If you are into that sort of thing, you can read about it.  

While over at the Omni site, there is another interview with SF artist, Jim Burns.  I love how both artist can tell a story more or less without any words, just from looking at their subject matter.  You can find that interview here. 

While on the topic of geekdom.  There's a guy over at Youtube I enjoy listening too, Steve Donoghue.  He's an older gentleman that I found while perusing their book Vlog videos.  I'll admit I'm not a voracious reader, but I admire those who are.  Plus I'm always interested to know what someone is reading at the moment and what sort of things they are interested in whether it be books, comics, music, TV shows, movies or what have you.   Well Steve does just that in the below video.  Like a lot of us, his favorite TV shows, comics, TV series, and so forth are informed and inspired by his childhood and early years. Those things that energized and excited us when we were younger in life (and really still do to this day).  I guess that's normal.   Either way, check it out. 







2 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Slightly more clever than average apes were walking on two legs and making tools by banging rocks together 2,000,000 years ago. But the beginning of modern human awareness (full of intellectual abstraction) is not dated from then but from the first appearance of art sometime around 100,000 years ago – kicking into high gear around 40,000 BP. So, creating making art is about the most human thing one can do. Interesting piece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kULwsoCEd3g

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Thanks Richard. I try, it makes me feel good to be a little creative. Better when others can appreciate it, but I'd probably do it either way. Working in a vacuum gets a bit strange, which is why I like entering the gallery shows. Plus hey, I might could sell something too, I guess. At some point in time I may try and get outside the city limits. Dallas might be fun and doable. My art does have a bit of abstraction to it, and I like avant garde art too (though I've gotten rather indifferent to the smeared, dripped paint technique). Smaller town communities pretty much shun that sort of thing to some degree, and the gallery here doesn't really embrace it either (or it would be harder to get it accepted). But that still leaves things pretty open.

Thanks for the link. I think I've seen that Herzog film on PBS. Most of his doc are worthwhile and worth multiple viewing. There are many I've yet to see too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home