Saturday, July 30, 2016

10 Must Read 50s SF Books

I'll admit I've been a lazy toady lately.  I blame the heat.  But also I've spent the past week doing a few domestic things as well that I won't bore you with, plus I still need to continue weeding my flower beds which is totally out of control.   We really need a good rain, but the forecast isn't predicting any.  I noticed some brown spots in my yard, and turned on the auto sprinkler system, but it didn't seem to be working properly, so had to look into that.  I finally, finally figured out what was wrong with it by Googling (thank you Google, computers are awesome) the brand I have with is a Hunter Pro C.   Somehow it was programmed for an interval run, and I don't even know what that is, but it was.  So I changed it to regular run and reprogrammed it all over again.  It works now, huzzah!  Yay me!
I was in Walmart the other day and noticed they came out with a new 50th Anniversary edition of  Star Trek: TOS remastered and in spiffy new packaging.  They had all three seasons, but I only needed Season 2 for my collection.  They were around $15. a pop, which I thought was reasonable so picked it up.  Season 2 comes with all 26 remastered episodes, and Billy Blackburn's Treasure Chest:  Rare home movies and Special Memories Part 2, the More Tribbles, More Trouble episode from the Trek Animated series, and Trials and Tribble-ations from the Deep Space Nine episode.  So I splurged.  It would be nice to have the other Trek: TOS series like this too, but I'm okay with what I've got.  The First Season I have is just like it was broadcast, without the remastering, but I'm old enough to watch and remember the older show and effects.

Aside from that I've been binge-watching the Game of Thrones Season 5 from Netflix, which is still an amazing series.  I bought one of those Roku stick devices as a friend told me about the Pluto Channel (which actually you can watch on the web, but I prefer to streamed it on my TV).  The Pluto Channel has various programming for a geek like me.  It has retro SF movies, cartoons, a MST3K streaming channel and other things.  I caught the movies Godzilla Revenge aka Attack All Monsters last weekend off of it, and watched a bit of G. I. Blues with Elvis Presley last night among a few other things.

I also have been binge watching Dark Shadows.   I was not the kid that ran home from school to watch the program, if so I might have been a marathon runner as my house was pretty far from the high school I went to.  Aside from that during '66 I got a paper route.  A kid in the neighborhood told me he was quitting and asked me if I wanted to do it.  I asked my parents and they agreed, so I became an entrepreneur.  My first job aside from mowing lawns.  My parents never gave us an allowance, but they'd let us go see movies, and provided us adequately with clothes, an education and the necessities of life.  I had great parents.  But for the other stuff like music and the additional clothes and the whatevers of life that I wanted, I bought them by working.  So I didn't watch Dark Shadows in the afternoons, I was out delivering newspapers, and by and large I enjoyed that.

I didn't discover Dark Shadows until the SciFi Channel started showing them on TV around the 90s (you know, back when they were a good channel).   It was cool.  They showed old Tom Baker,  Dr. Who episodes, The Prisoner, Time Tunnel, anime I never heard of or seen before, and other SF programming that I'd long forgotten about or never knew of.  WTF happened!!?  Now they are a horrible channel with lousy movies and series.  Sharkcraboctopuss, fuhgeddaboutit!

Anyway for a while in the 90s they showed Dark Shadows, and although they only showed maybe a half year's season or so, it drew me in the Gothic soap opera and characters.  I can see how others got hooked.  When I started re-watching them again, I got hooked all over again.  I'm sure I'll save watching many episodes of this series for the fall and winter and for around Halloween.

Anyway ran across this list of the 10 Must Read Science Fiction Books From the 1950s.  They had Tiger Tiger on it, or better known as The Stars My Destination from Alfred Bester, which I loved reading.  It's a SF revenge tale about a guy left for dead stranded in space.  The main character, Gully Foyle, makes it back to earth and then it's time for whoop ass.  Pretty good novel.  Some of the books on that list I have not read, but might have to add them to my "must read" ever growing list.  Sigh.







2 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I love 50s scifi though I read only 5 of the top 10 on this list. It had an upbeat can-do flavor to it that is refreshing in our more cynical times.

I used to watch Dark Shadows too. Barnabas Collins probably did more to revitalize vampire mythology than Anne Rice. Given the timeline of her writing, I wouldn't be surprised if her inspired her.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I've just started Dark Shadows and I haven't gotten to Barnabas yet. I know he wasn't in the series for a long while and the story arcs seem to go on forever, and yet I continue to watch. That wouldn't surprise me either about Rice's novel & the movie that was made from it. The movie actually was on last night, and I watched a tiny bit of it. I don't know why, but I've never found it interesting enough to sit and watch the whole thing (I hope the book was better). I guess I prefer the Hammer version of vampires or Dracula, more menacing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home