Friday, June 24, 2016

Free Music

I ran across this the other day so I thought I'd share.  I've always been a progressive music fan since the late 60s.  It's hard to designate what the first progressive rock album was.  Some say it was The Beatles' Sgt. Peppers, some say it was King Crimson's In The Court of the Crimson King or early Pink Floyd or another British band, Yes.

There are also albums on the verge of that sound that came out of the psychedelic era that some refer to as proto-prog, which came out around that time like Spirit's first self-titled album or The Who's Quadrophenia, or Deep Purple's In Rock.   So it's real hard to target an exact group, but I generally enjoyed and still enjoy a lot of those bands.  To me, it was one of the most creative eras of rock music.  The music was headier,  more complex and layered, sometimes like that Crimson album and Spirit's album or say some of the Mothers of Invention albums or Soft Machine's earlier work it was music that didn't just automatically click.  They were less accessible than normal rock.  You had to listen to them many times to get into them.  They more or less grew on you.  That's my favorite kind of music.  The same can be said for early Genesis or say Van Der Gaaf Generator.    In fact some of this music for some folks is quite repellent even today.

I remember having some friends over and trying to describe Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention or even Captain Beefhearts' music.  But once they actually heard some of it, you could tell it was liking hitting a brick wall.  They couldn't get into it much at all, which to some degree I find hilarious.  Sometimes youth can be rather brash when they discover some new band that they feel is so vanguard, but just put on some older Zappa or Beefhearts and you'll clear the room.

At any rate, there's plenty of jazz, jazz-rock, and fusion that also fits within that genre.  Soft Machine is one, and there's a lot of fusion acts and musicians like Mahavishnu Orchestra,  Eberhard Weber, Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, and so on that also are included in that genre.

At any rate I found a good deal I thought I'd share that comes from the recording company of Moonjune records.  They are allowing you to download a sampler of their music for free until the end of June.  It gives a good cross section of the artist they handle and contains many styles of progressive rock.  Check it out here. 

2 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I usually gravitate back to basic blues-based rocknroll (which is supposed to be fairly simple and a little rough edged), butboth back in the day and today I also like(d) alternative forms from some psychedelic and progressive groups. They all had something to say. Only Disco outright annoyed me, but maybe I'd have felt differently had I been more of a dancer: I'm as lightfooted as a drunken buffalo..

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

I always felt slightly silly whenever I dance. I'm not totally sure why. I never cared that much for country though I can two-step, and free form rock and roll is just moving around anymore, I don't know that there is anything specifically one is supposed to do. I guess that's why I gravitate to more cerebral music whenever I'm choosing what to listen to--granted that's a generalization as my taste tend to be a bit broad. It too has changed over the years to include classical, new age, and a few other things. I still don't care for country, disco either for that matter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home