Tuesday, March 08, 2016

SF Podcast

I'm putting this up as I thought it might appeal to others interested in the SF genre.   Most of these podcast from what it looks like are about different SF movies.  I'm  curious to hear the one about Ex Machina as well, which is episode 4.  Here's a list of the overall episodes that are available right now.

Here's the one concerning the Dune episode.  Dune is one of those films that sort of polarizing within the SF community.  Personally I enjoy it.  Is it perfect, no, but what film is, particularly when taken from a pretty complex SF book like Dune.  I enjoy the film adaption over the made-for-TV series.  

I've seen the documentary called Jodorowsky's Dune (2013)  as well.   My take on that is not as positive as others have enjoyed it.  I thought it was okay, but as that documentary went on, I kept thinking, well, all that is well and good in hindsight, but who knows if anything Jodorowsky says could have actually transpired?  It's food for thought, but rather lofty.  Saying he wanted to get Orson Welles and Salvador Dali to help with the film, and actually getting their help is two different things entirely.   It just seemed more a cerebral pipe dream to me.  I don't know of any director really that could outdo what David Lynch has already done.  If I were to pick one, it might be Peter Jackson.  He has the talent to pull it off and I would like to see what he could do with it, but there again the story has already been told by Lynch. 


4 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

I'm with you, I enjoy the film more than the mini-series. Yeah the mini-series was more faithful to the book, but the film is just so amazing visually. No one else but Lynch could have created that world and made it feel so unique and yet otherworldly.

I like Jordowski's films, he's made some really surreal and philosophical movies. And I can see a version of "Dune" from him being a trip. I haven't seen that documentary yet, but I'm curious about it... and yet, I still love having Lynch's take on "Dune".

Thanks for recommending that podcast. I'll give it a listen!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I've tried to watch Jordowski's movies, and perhaps at some point I'll be able to appreciate them, however, I may have to read something about them beforehand just to get over that threshold. I've seen bits and pieces of El Topo, and at the time, couldn't appreciate it. It would be nice if Netflix would stream some of these more esoteric films, which they might in the future.

I have a few of his graphic novels though, and some of them are pretty trippy and surreal. There's one called the Techopriest, that pretty surreal. http://www.amazon.com/The-Technopriests-Book-Initiation-Comics/dp/1401203590 The gist of some of this stories have a similar Dune-esque storyline, a boyhood savoir coming of age and rises to power, though that's not really aping Dune, just a story convention.

But yeah, have to check out some of his movies. The documentary though is worth a watch, particularly if you enjoy Dune.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I like Lynch's "Dune" movie too. I can see how anyone who hasn't read the book might be baffled by it, and among those who have read it there always will be purists who object to any film treatment. But given the epic sweep, complex mythology of the novel, and practical time limitations for a movie feature, I think Lynch did pretty well. I was aware of the series but didn't get into it.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I didn't think the series covered much more ground than the film did, but had less budget to deal with. It seemed it went a bit further, and started to cover some of the second book, Dune Messiah. There might have been a few other little things the series mentioned that the movie did not, but it had more time to do it. That said it lacked the movies effects and crazy world building.

I remember seeing the ads on TV and just thinking I wanted to see that due to it being SF. I think I went into the movie thinking maybe it might be like Star Wars or something along those lines, and it really threw me a curve with that preconceived notion. After the movie ended, I thought, what the heck did I just see. In fact there were a couple of guys seated in front of me at the cinema that uttered just that. A couple of years later I re-watched it again with some SF fans that had read Dune, and they all commented upon various mythos and cannon about the film and book. It just made it seem that much more interesting, and made me want to read the series to see what happened after the movie and first book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home