Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Tribble Me Timbers

Star Trek is one of those franchises that just keeps chugging along.  I loved the classic series and still do.  Heck, I don't have a problems with the rebooted movies either, yes, there's a bit lens flare, but overall I consider them great fun.  Next Generation has some great episodes, they still show on BBC America on cable, and when I'm in the mood I'll watch a few of them.

Today I ran across this old Tom Synder broadcast with a few of the actors (Deforest Kelley, James Doohan, and Walter Koenig) that played as the crew members on Star Trek, along with writer Harlan Ellison.  This segment of The Tomorrow Show was evidently taped back in 1976 and evidently came off someone's VHS from back in the day, so it has problems, but for the most part it's watchable. If anything else it just a reminder of what VHS was like back then.

 Tom Synder used to be a late night host that was interesting.  His show, The Tomorrow Show came on after The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, so it was on extra late.  Unlike today's current crop of (more or less) politically correct host who all have a pat scripted program, back then things were more free style.  I remember Synder used to have rock musicians, writers, actors, and assortment of other guest.  I always remember his constant chain smoking on air too.  

Anyway I ran across this old five-part interview with Deforest Kelley, James Doohan, Walter Koenig, and Harlan Ellison who were at a convention. 


Go over to Youtube and you can find the other links to this as well.   While on the topic of Trek, I ran across a news item where they plan on making a new Star Trek series for 2017.  If you are interested about that you can follow and read more about it here.  

Quite frankly I'm already curious and looking forward to it.

Speaking of space, Virgin Galactic have unveiled the new SpaceShip Two, Unity for space tourism. 

The other day I ran across one Youtuber's post about visiting Florida's NASA Kennedy Space Center.  I thought it was pretty cool, so I thought I'd share.  I've never been to Florida, but looked like something I'd want to check out if I'm ever there. 





4 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I remember seeing at least one of these Snyder Trek interviews (maybe more -- hey, it is 40 years ago). I recall Harlan Ellison, who wrote "The City on the Edge of the Future" episode and was unhappy with the production of it, seeming to be unnecessarily negative. But I suppose that was why Tom had him there. Snyder was indeed a good interviewer. Charlie Rose is the best comparison today, but I liked Snyder's style better.

The original series, despite the low-budget effects (upgraded in the current DVD box set release) and mid-60s naivete, had a fun spirit to it that wasn't matched by later spin-offs or movies. I like some of the later ones though and think the prequel "Enterprise" deserved a bigger audience than it got.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, Charlie Rose is good, so is Tavis Smiley. Supposedly Ellison is coming out with an audio of The City on The Edge of Forever. He published a book of the original screenplay as well, which is worth a peek. I imagine dealing with Ellison back then was like wrestling with a bear in a tornado, still I like the guy. I got to see him speak like once at the San Diego Comic Con. I wish I had gotten his autograph on something, but didn't. If Enterprise comes on NF, I should give it a look. I've seen most of the first season. Yeah, those new upgraded Trek DVDs look great, I have no problem with them at all.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

Ah the Original Star Trek always reminds me of my grandmother. She was a huge Shatner fan, and when she lived with us, we always watched Star Trek episodes in the evening, around six if I remember right. I remember some of these episodes very vividly siting on the couch and watching as the ship hurtled across the screen.

About six or seven years ago my friend (who is a hard core trekker) loaned me the DVDs of the original series and it was a blast to revisit them. The updated visual effects were actually integrated really well into the episodes and actually did a good job of expanding the visual world of the series. I got such a kick out of them that I ended up purchasing them myself. :)

And yeah I enjoy most of the movies too. The TNG movies were perhaps the weakest of the bunch, but even those have their moments... well except "Generations". :)

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I'd agree about the Next Gen movies. I think the movie with the Borg, First Contact, was probably the best of the bunch but, and I'll differ with you here, Generations was pretty good too. In it you got to see both captains, Picard and Kirk, but also I think the villain played by Malcolm McDowell helped to boost the film's appeal. For me the weakest of the NG movies was Insurrection, which just seemed like it was just another episode expanded out to form a movie. It dealt with non-interference or the Prime Directive of another culture. Nemesis was a bit lacking as well for me.


I sort of have the same feelings on the series. I always favor Classic Trek, but many of the episodes of Next Gen are good too. Next Gen got a bit too soap opera for me with some of their episodes, but I'll admit I'm more of an action, monster-of-the-week type guy.

But yeah, I still watch Trek nearly every week. I think that remastering of the classic episodes just makes them appeal to a newer audience all the more, and as far as I'm concerned just makes them look even better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home