Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Jews & Comics

Here this week as well as last week I have been sorting through some of my comics trying to get them into some sort of workable or usable order.  This is the part of collecting that is not much fun to me.  I do enjoy looking through them to a degree, and I also get caught up in pulling out a few as well and looking over some of the stories.  I've also grabbed a few and set them aside to read later.  All that takes more time, no less re-bagging a few, or bagging a few that never got bagged in the first place.  I used to be a lot more fussy about all that as I think most comic fans are similar.  I'm not sure why that is, perhaps because it's such a disposable medium anyway or such a flimsy collectible.  But it's not like any of these things are worth much to be honest.  I think more than anything I just like my stuff or collectibles to look nice and in nice shape, whether or not anyone else ever sees it or not.  I like to take care of most of my stuff that way if possible.  After I die, well, it can go to the next person that wants to take care of it.

But like I said, it's not worth a lot of money.  I have a few issues that might be worth a little, but that's about it.  Even then I'd say under fifty bucks, which these days ain't a lot of money either.  It's like I've heard said, if you are looking for an investment, invest in real estate, stocks, bonds, gold, or art and antiques.  There are a few others maybe.  Comic books would NOT be considered that way however.  Of the above I'd say stocks, bonds, and gold are your most liquid.  In other words if you own them, and you want to sell them tomorrow you can do so and get whatever the going price the market will bring for that day.  With everything else, you have to put it on the market, say your house, and wait until you find a buyer.  You may have to fix up your house first, give it a new coat of paint, etc., and then find a buyer.  The same is true for art and collectibles.  Granted you could get someone to auction off your stuff for you too, but they'll want a cut of your profits. 

Although I don't read as many comics as I used to, and even though at times I don't know why I hang onto some of this stuff, I still enjoy the medium to some degree.  Maybe it is that I enjoy the history or nostalgia, sometimes the stories can be entertaining, and I enjoy some of the art as well.  But like a lot of things in the pop world it changes, and with that change my interest has waned some too.   At any rate, while watching some stuff on Youtube the other day I ran into a lecture by Arlen Schumer on Jewish comic creators and the comics they created.  I thought I'd share it as I thought it was pretty good, and he displays some of the artwork during his lecture too.  To tell you the truth I didn't know all these creators were Jewish.  If you enjoy it Arlen has other lectures and videos on YT as well.



2 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Not all value is determined at the auction block. We all keep things that we’ll never (or rarely) use again because they mean something to us.

An odd note on Joe Shuster who co-created Superman with Jerry Siegel: Dc owned the rights to the character, so Shuster was broke in the 1950s. He made money by drawing for Nights of Horror, an SM comic that became embroiled in a major censorship case. Pics from the comic: http://www.come-sundown.com/blog/2015/4/15/nights-of-horror-joe-shuster. I wrote about the court case years ago at http://richardbellush.blogspot.com/2011/02/anything-for-gag.html.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, I guess keeping stuff around for me anyway is a part of happiness or life. Some guys like football, hunting, golf, etc. But I do this. :)

Thanks for the Shuster info. I'll take a look at that. I was happy to read that after the settlement for the Jack Kirby estate, that DC did a similar settlement for Siegel and Shuster's estate/ heirs. I know they signed contracts at the time for work for hire, but as time moves on it just seems the fair thing to do after their creation has built their company and made them millions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home