Friday, January 15, 2016

Podcasting

As they say, there's not enough hours in the day, and I feel particularly that way when it comes to listening to podcasts, however, I still fit in a few and enjoy them when I do.  My two favorites are Fresh Air and my comic nerd in me enjoys, iFanboy.com too.

I generally prefer Terry's show when she covers the arts whether it be a musician or something having to do with films, however, some of her other topics will surprise me as well.  I'm not too keen on the political ones, but again, sometimes they'll surprise me.  This past year was no exception. 

Here's one she rebroadcast that she did with David Bowie when he passed a few days ago.  I'll admit I was taken aback when I saw the news as well.  http://www.npr.org/2016/01/11/462653510/david-bowie-on-the-ziggy-stardust-years-we-were-creating-the-21st-century-in-197

Here's another she did recently with musician Carol King:  http://www.npr.org/2016/01/08/462269283/carole-king-the-fresh-air-interview

I always enjoy hearing these end of the year, Best Of broadcast covering the best in TV, movies, music and so forth as well.   http://www.npr.org/2016/01/02/461503849/fresh-air-weekend-our-critics-pick-the-best-tv-books-movies-and-music-of-2015

If that's not enough to wet your whistle, there are many other podcast of various subjects on her site for downloading. 

If that's not enough here are several more I ran across today.  Some deal with films, others music, some gaming, some pop culture, and various other topics.  Have a look & listen.  
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/14/podcasts-you-need-hear-2016





4 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Thanks for the links. While a piece of pop culture -- whether a song, a movie, event, or whatever -- must stand or fall on its own merits, learning more about the creator usually gives us a more informed appreciation of it. Guru's such as Terry help in that.

There are exceptions. Though I never met him, I've been told that Andy Warhol was singularly uninteresting outside his work. That in itself is sort of interesting.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, I've always been interested in reviews, and peeling back the layers of artist, writer, musicians and such. I like reading or hearing interviews or podcast and such that do just that: Shed light on pieces of pop culture that I've enjoyed or spotlight something that I might enjoy.

That wouldn't surprise me about Warhol. I've always enjoyed Harrison Ford's work in the movies for the most part, but always found him a dull guest on TV. He never really has much to say, and maybe that adds to his mystique, but it makes for a dull interview.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

Ah podcasts are great. I enjoy listening to a few. H.P. Podcraft was a real fun one. Two fans exploring each and every story H.P. Lovecraft wrote (including some of his less known collaborations). When it started off it was a bit rough, but the guys really were into it and as it progressed they really dug into some interesting aspects of the writer and his work. They also got some great guests on there to help explore some of the denser stories. I always revisit this podcast in October or when I'm working on fiction in a similar vein.

I'm also a fan of history podcasts. "The History of Rome" and "Revolutions" are both excellent. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy "Revolutions" but he really did a great job exploring the English Civil War and a solid overview of the American Revolutionary War. But it was his amazing exploration of the French Revolution that really blew me away. It was so complex and involved, but he really made it accessible and interesting. He is currently delving into the revolution in Hati and will follow that up with the South American adventures of Bolivar. I'm really looking forward to that one.

My wife also got us into "Serial" last month. Another good one that has a lot of buzz around it.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, podcast are about like books and other media, it's sometime hard trying to keep up, but it's great having another alternative to explore, and I think that will only grow with time. I think the V-blog thing on YT will grow and expand more as time goes on.

That Lovecraft blog would probably be down my alley, I'll have to look into that one. I'd be surprised if there weren't more podcast like that about other authors, Stephen King comes to mind or just a general horror or SF book club podcast seems a natural. There are still many things that could be explored on the web.

I've heard of Serial but haven't explored it. I would imagine some of those history blogs would be interesting as well. Again, I should check into these. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home