Saturday, January 09, 2016

Bad Dreams

Back around New Years I went to a galaxy far, far away--actually it wasn't that far, it was just to a theater just across town to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens.  Like many, I enjoyed it as well.  If you haven't seen it yet, and you are a Star Wars fan, for sure check it out while it's still showing at the cinema as the special effects were wonderful.  This time, as opposed to the last time when I went to see a cinema showing, the projectionist had the sound set at an adequate hearing level, which made it all the more enjoyable.  The cinema I went to was one of the older cinemas in town rather than the newer Carmike 14.  Earlier in the year I had gone to see the Mad Max: Road Fury film, and they had the sound so loud in that place, it was a miserable experience.  So I'll continue to patronize this older cinema. 

At any rate after the film was over, I went and got a hamburger as I was hungry, then afterwards on the way back home I turned on the radio, and fell upon a book discussion, which was probably broadcast from a repeat from earlier in the day with the PBS host, Diane Reem.  She generally comes on earlier in the day here.  She was speaking to some author that sounded familiar to me from the way his voice sounded, but at first I couldn't place him.

It turns out she was speaking with Stephen King who has a new book of short stories out, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.  It sounded interesting to me, and I always enjoy listening to King and hearing what he has to say.  If anyone is interesting in hearing the same interview, check out the link

It was a good way to start the new year.


3 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I tend to go an old theater in Succasunna because it is cheap (by 2016 standards, that is) and has old-fashioned seating. The other two nearby theaters have reserved seating, reclining faux-leather armchairs with footrests, and prices to make you gag. I suppose this upscale approach allows them to make money with much smaller audiences, but it seems silly to me. It’s not as though the seats in the old theater are made of nails.

King isn’t my favorite contemporary horror writer (those would be Jack Ketchum and F. Paul Wilson) but I’ve liked several of his books. He seems personable on interviews.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

We go to the movie theaters so rarely these days that we tend to spend a little more for the premium seats. This is mostly so we don't get surrounded by folks checking their cell phones or talking through most of the film. They tend to avoid the pricier seats. It is usually worth it for us. But yeah, if I'm going by myself, I'll go to the cheaper theater to enjoy the film.

King does come across like a genuine guy in interviews, and I've always found his insight on writing to be very interesting. His book "On Writing" get a reread from me every few years.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, they actually built an even newer cinema here in Tyler. I've heard of the idea before in places like Austin and Dallas. It's called Studio Movie Grill. The prices for tickets aren't that much more expensive, but I'm sure the meals and snacks would be. I guess there is a need for such things, though I try and plan my movie watching experience around such things and either eat before I go or eat a snack or drink a soft drink going over to the theater. To be honest I sneak in snacks too. My real problem these days is I don't want to eat a full meal before going as it will make me drowsy. But I'm curious how this concept will go over here.

I'm all for cheapness. Back in West Texas they had a budget cinema. The tickets were super cheapo, and that's the one I used. They ran movies that had already played their full run, but the price to get in was around a buck or so. I don't know if it is still open, but for a while me and a friend would generally take in a movie there on a Saturday showing. The seating there however, was not that good.

They have two similar cinemas in Dallas (one in Plano), and it's a nice place. I saw Lincoln and some other films in there. Their prices are about half of full ticket price, but it's a nice cinema.

I always enjoy hearing what King has to say. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home