Thursday, December 31, 2015

Cyclotrode X

I discovered this old Republic serial on Youtube of the Crimson Ghost.  The Paramount Vault has posted a lot of their old movies and serials and such over there if interested.  I ran across a Jerry Lewis movie, a couple of westerns, the SF movie, Masters of the Universe (1987) and they plan to update things as time goes along.  So if interested you might check out their YT page.  Here is a link to the movie.  Paramount cleaned the movie up so it's a nice clear print.

 I ran into another neat movie or 6-part TV BBC series during Christmas that  I was unaware of and found it by chance.  What's interesting is that the series takes place during Christmas too.  It has Patrick Troughton in it, who played the second doctor in the Sci-Fi franchise Doctor Who.   It is called The Box of Delights from 1984.  It's based on the classic children's novel by John Masefield, the story follows the exploits of a young boy, Kay Harker, who finds himself drawn into a world of magic and danger when he encounters an old Punch and Judy man. There's magic in it, and the kids involved can shrink themselves down like the kids in Honey I Shrunk the Kids or Land of the Giants.  It has a few eerie scenes in it that are the type that would probably creep kids out and give them nightmares at least back in the day.  It has a similar low budget  or maybe even less that the Dr. Who series, but it was still pretty interesting to watch.   You can find all 6-parts on YT.  I'll post the first episode here, and you should be able to find the rest pretty easy.









2 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Wow. The Crimson Ghost hasn’t crossed my mind since I was a kid when those old serials used to play on Saturday morning TV. Masters of the Universe – the cartoons and the action figures – was after my time but I saw the 80s movie anyway. It is goofily entertaining in the way 80s movies often are. Good finds.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Ha ha, yeah, I'd never seen Masters of the Universe, although back then I had some friends that wanted me to go with them to see it at the cinema, and I declined--I forget why. It's a popcorn fun film, supposedly taken after some Jack Kirby story, characters, or something. I remember reading that Paul Chadwick, creator of the Concrete comic, said he did the storyboards for it.

I'd like to finds some more of those old serials, they are fun. Maybe Paramount will release more of them as time goes on. When I went to grab the link for The Crimson Ghost I saw they had already put up a few more things. Pretty cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home