Monday, December 28, 2015

2016 Movies

There have already been a few predictions about what movies in 2016 people are looking forward to watching.  I haven't seen everything from 2015 yet, but that's pretty typical for me.  I plan on seeing Star Wars: The Force Awakens this week.  Plus I still want to see The Martian, Sicario, Spectre, The Revenant, Bridge of Spies, Creed, Inside Out, Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation, Spotlight, The Hateful Eight, and a few others as time allows.  I've got Mr. Holmes starring Ian McKellen at home right now, which I'll watch shortly.

I watched the first Mission: Impossible (1996) movie last night.  I had not seen it since I saw it in the theaters back when it was released.  I didn't care for it too much back then, I thought it was okay, but actually when I watched it a second time last night I enjoyed it quite a bit more.  It's full of twist and turns, and then the finale with the bullet train sequence was just a blast.  It's funny how your perception changes, but  now I'm caught up with the Mission: Impossible franchise except for Rogue Nation, which I'm looking forward to watching pretty soon.  I didn't even mind Mission: Impossible 2 once you get past the mountain climbing opening, which was over-the-top and ridiculous.

So for me personally, looking forward to 2016, I'll be watching a lot of the films from 2015 that I haven't seen yet, but I can see the fun in the anticipation and why some people enjoy doing that.  The only thing I saw (and I haven't kept up with it honestly) is the new Tarzan trailer.

There have already been a few adaptations of the jungle lord from Disney's animated Tarzan to the live action film, Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan: Lord of the Apes (1984).  I've seen both as well as others, and I've always been a fan of the Johnny Weissmuller, Maureen O' Sullivan early versions of Tarzan, but none of them have faithfully followed the book.  Greystoke took it closer in that direction, but still fell short for me anyway.  It's been a while since I've watched that version, but I remember that was my reaction at the time.

There are a lot of action and comic-inspired movies slated to come out in 2016.  Quite frankly I don't mind that too much.  I know they are money makers for Hollywood, here in the states and abroad.  I don't know how excited I am for many of them however.  At times I feel the comic book-inspired adaptations are getting a bit worn for me, but then when I see one that's good and I have a fun experience, and think heck yeah.
 I am curious about the new Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice.  It just looks like a fun, popcorn blockbuster-type film.  It's by Zack Snyder, whom many fans and critics either like or hate.  He's done films like Watchman, 300, and Man of Steel, which a lot of people hated, but I sort of enjoyed.  Man of Steel is how I envision Superman, and was lightyears ahead of many of the past reboots for the alien superhero.  It sure beat Superman Returns, which for me was a borefest and miscast.

I've been watching a series on Netflix about great directors.  Last night I watched the segments on Barry Levinson, George Lucas, and Rob Reiner.  Reiner stated that if you'll choose the right cast, and you have the right script, your job is 90% done.  I can see that to a degree.  Have you ever seen a film that might have been a good idea, but was just miscast badly, and you wondered why the director or the executives chose to go with those actors?  Boy I have. The same holds true for the scripts and story.  Have you even seen a movie and thought: How did that get the green light?  So if the script is either written poorly or reedited wrongly, or directed badly, and the cast doesn't fit, you already have two strikes against you.

At any rate, I think Batman vs. Superman might be fun.  I expect the Steven Spielberg/Disney film The BFG will do well. It's an adaption of a Ronald Dahl book, about a giant.  I can't see it doing too badly.  Most of Spielberg's films are received well, as well as Disney.  If I were to put my money on it, I'd say it's a win, and since I do own some Disney stock I guess I do have some money on it.  Ditto for the ongoing Star Wars franchise and the anticipation for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.  But there are also some films like Howard Lovecraft and the Hidden Kingdom, which might be interesting, a new Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Doctor Strange, yeah, this one is just seems a natural for the big screen, I hope they do it well, and it is scary and creepy,  Star Trek Beyond--woo hoo, I don't know why the rebooted Star Trek franchise have gotten such indifference, but I love them.  A new X-Men: Apocalypse film is in the works.  I hope it's great fun.  By and large I enjoy that franchise.  There's a new Kung Fu Panda 3 slated.  There really is just a bunch of fun movies coming out next year, and it already looks like it is going to be a great year for fans of films no matter where your interest lies.

Here's a discussion of it from the reviewers of Schmoesknow:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAI4iiGq_JM

And here's a list of the upcoming films for 2016.

Happy Healthy New Year 2016. 





 

2 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

No one (least of all the studios, it seems) really knows what adaptations will work and what won't. Sometimes the big names in comics turn out "Meh" (e.g. Green Lantern) and sometimes the relatively obscure ones (e.g. Guardians of the Galaxy) really click on film.

Edgar Rice Burroughs was unpretentious about his writing including the Tarzan novels: "if people were paid for writing rot such as I read in some of those magazines, that I could write stories just as rotten. As a matter of fact, although I had never written a story, I knew absolutely that I could write stories just as entertaining and probably a whole lot more so than any I chanced to read in those magazines." So he could, and did. I've read most of his Tarzan, Mars, Pellucidar, and Venus novels and enjoyed every one. I'm sure he'd be amused at some of the film adaptations. When alive (he died 1950) he was more concerned about the royalty checks going to the right place than with what the studios did with the characters.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I think you are right. They can test them before an audience etc. and still they'll never know. I didn't John Carter was a horrible movie, but again it strayed some from the novel somewhat (although that didn't bother me), although I'm not sure why or at least that is not the way I remember the set up to the novel. I wouldn't have minded a sequel, but I don't think that will happen. I'm not sure what happened there, although Disney spent a lot of dough on the picture. I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy too. Was it any better than John Carter, not really for me.

The movie industry hasn't given up on comic or pulp adaptations, however, and actually I'm fine with that. Some might work and others don't. Burroughs did write entertaining escapism. I think I'd be the same way once I signed over the rights to a movie. Hey just sign the check and see what you can do with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home