Wednesday, December 23, 2015

1978 Flashback

I ran across this broadcast of Siskel and Ebert's old TV show where they are predicting the Oscars for 1978.  Spoiler: The Deer Hunter won best picture.  http://siskelandebert.org/video/MG52U96628UX/1978-Oscar-Picks--Sneak-Previews

I feel a little nostalgic in missing their program and for the quality and diversity of films back then too.  You'll note that most of the films covered are fairly serious films, no blockbuster, super hero action type films.  I don't necessarily have anything against those film, I go see them too.  But it does seem we have an over abundance of them.  I realize too that money fuels the box office, and mostly young people are purchasing those tickets (or their parents).  

Whenever Siskel and Ebert was showing each week I'd either try and tape it on VHS or watch it whenever possible.  I kept up with both gentlemen until both died.  I wish someone on PBS or one of the cable networks would bring back something akin to that program.  It's not like it would be all that expensive to produce.  I realize a lot of that has filtered its way over to  Youtube, and I watch some of them.  But most of those reviews are not mature in their tone or approach, in fact most of them are down right immature and adolescent.  I'd tried to find some older reviewer that might talk a bit about older films, but so far I haven't any. 

At any rate, if you are curious about what did win back in 1978, here are the Oscar winners for that year.  https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/1979

2 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I also enjoyed these two starting back in their PBS days. Even when, in the end, I disagreed with one or both, their interplay about a movie always was illuminating. Over time one got to know their quirks, which were never so obvious as in their “Guilty Pleasures” picks: Gene had a salacious streak (not in a creepy way) and was inclined to pick films such as Emmanuelle and Summer Lovers, while Roger had a silly streak and tended to films like Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure and The Last Starfighter.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Sure me too. I didn't always agree on their picks and some still leave me scratching my head. But together they were a formidable team and helped guide me and made me at least more discernible as to what made up a good film. I tended to side with Ebert a bit more, though Siskel would throw in a few curve balls that made a lot of sense. They were critics that had seen hundreds of films, and sometimes I wondered if some of those guilty pleasures were thrown in just to please the masses, but I don't think so. In one of those videos I watched earlier today, Roger admitted, you know sometimes we need something old fashion, a crowd pleaser to remind us of just why we go to movies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home