Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Fall Movies

The current issue of Rolling Stone had a nice article on some of the 2015 movies coming this way in the fall.  This is the time of year when the movie season really kicks into high gear. Yes, I'm looking forward to the new Star Wars movie like everyone else, but there's plenty of other films that look interesting as well. 

I read a Netflix friend's review of the movie, Sicario, where he said it was pretty amazing.  There's a new Michael Moore film as well, for those into documentaries.  I'll admit I like his films, whether they are biased or not.  He reminds me of the way Ralph Nader used to be--standing up for the underdog, and shedding light on issues.   The Martian, yes, I'm interested.  Heck, I'm even curious about the new Steve Jobs movie.  Did you happen to catch the Disney two-part documentary that was on PBS the other night?  It was really good. 

Bridge of Spies--I'm always interested in anything Spielberg creates, even if the subject matter doesn't wow me from the onset.  He just knows how to craft a film that's fun to watch.  He's one of my favorite directors.  Some might think Tom Hanks is a bit washed up.  I think there was a time when he was a bit overexposed, but I hardly think he's ready for the retirement home.   As long as there's good roles, even at his age, he can carry off a part.  Did you ever see Captain Phillips?  It was a really good action film.
Crimson Peak by Del Toro, could be really scary, and even it it's not, looks steeped in atmosphere with great set design. 

Then there's a new 007 movie.  Truth is a new Robert Redford film where he plays Dan Rather.  Dan Rather is a Texan, and I always thought he was a good news journalist and anchor.  Hopefully that films is well made.   Finish out the year with Star Wars, and the final episode to The Hunger Games, and it looks like it's going to be a good year for films. 

4 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I'm always up for a good movie. It's definitely time to finish the "Hunger Games" before Katniss and Peeta become middle-aged and drift apart. There are a few 2015 indie films I missed and would like to buy or rent when they are available, including Woody's "Irrational Man." Rolling Stone is one of my go-to spots for reviews of music and movies; their take is often unconventional.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, I still read the Rolling Stone. I can't think of another magazine that is a spotlight for the youth or pop culture. Sometimes I might disagree with them, but most of the time they are similar to my own taste. I haven't seen Allen's Irrational Man or his last couple of movies. I should probably push them up further on the queue.

I don't know if you've been tuning into the new Late Night with Steve Colbert show. I got out of the habit of watching it due to lack of interest, and that even included Letterman. It just seemed to have gotten stale and too promotional. But Colbert has got me back into watching again, at least for now. What I was getting to though is lately he's been doing these Hunger Games skits while lampooning the GOP. Super hilarious in a way.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

Yes, lots of movies coming still, and some really great soundtracks too. Really looking forward to hearing some new John Williams "Star Wars" material. As unimpressive as the prequels were, the music was still top notch.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, I'm right there with you Roman. I hear new soundtracks all the time, and pay closer attention to it due to your post. Plus I still listen to older soundtracks and watch the older films that I've collected. It is rewarding. I just ran into some cool stuff today as a matter of fact that I may share later. Stay tuned. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home