Thursday, July 09, 2015

SF Book Suggestions

Looking for a good SF book to read?  I have plenty of books around the house I need to read, but always looking for more.  I'm very curious about that one by Nancy Kress, Nothing Human.  I first ran into her when she used to write some short articles in Writer's Digest magazine.  Here's a Q & A with her if you care to read it:  here.   There are some other articles by her: here

At any rate, here's some suggestions of books from other famous SF authors that I found on The Guardian.  I've read Bester's The Stars My Destination, it's a good one as well as some of the others.  Check it out:  here

Here's another cool article on The Guardian about Dune: 50 Year On--how it changed SF.  Check it out: here.  

Oh by the way, I ran into an online magazine devote to H. P. Lovecraft.  Check it out:  here.  


2 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

All three pictured are good stuff. Heinlein's is a kind of YA fiction (in those less PC days it was called Juvenile fiction, but not meant as an insult) not written much anymore. As Kress says in the interview you linked, modern YA is darker. But Heinlein doesn't ever write "down" to an audience, so it's still fun for an adult too. Herbert's Dune was a gamechanger, but I also like his non-Dune books such as the Dosadi Experiment. They always have interesting ideas.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I think I read somewhere that Heinlein had two periods--one his juvenile and his later period that was more mature. I'm not well read enough to know, but if I can find some of earlier work, I'd give them a shot. I tend to buy most of my books on the cheap at book sales, garage sales, and the like.

I've not read any of Herbert's other work than his Dune series. I assume they are well written. I've read some of his son's follow-up books to Dune, and the ones I've read, I enjoyed, though I've read where some people don't care for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home