Sunday, June 14, 2015

Vroom

This past week I went to the new Mad Max: Fury Road film directed by George Miller starring Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron among others.  Overall, yes, it's a cool action SF flick.  I can holy endorse the mad petrol-fueled, super injected ride it provides.  In short, I rather loved it.  It was a good way to kick summer into high gear.  The story is lean and mean, and doesn't stall around for heavy exposition and background story, though there are pauses to catch one's breathe and add some story to the action.  A lot of the story is implied and the viewer is left to fill in a bit of the rest.   If I were to have a quibble, and this is a personal criticism on my behalf, not with the movie, but specifically at the movie theater, Carmike 14: THE SOUND WAS UP TOO DARN LOUD!!!!   I'll admit I am getting old, no surprise there, and I understand this type movie was made heavy metal loud, but does it have to play to ear splitting level?  I think not.  I'll admit I don't know what goes on up in the projection booth, but I suspect they are run by low wage earning teenagers, who don't know squat about much these days, but it's too bad Carmike 14 doesn't monitor their hired help better than what they evidently do.  They could also perhaps clean up their bathrooms ever so often as well as it was pretty nasty.  Just sayin'.

At any rate, this was one of the best entries if not the best of the Mad Max films for me.  I'd read and heard that a lot of the special effects in the film were practical, not CGI effects, and if that's true that's pretty amazing because there were a lot of them.  Of course you can expect some CGI, but it meshed so well with the overall film, it was hard to tell what was real and what wasn't.  This was one of those movies that lives up to the hype, "if" you are wanting to watch an action film, and I think that disclaimer needs to be made as I'd read some negative feedback from some people that have said that it was all action and had no plot, etc.--that type thing.  I look forward to re-watching the film when it comes out on Netflix. 
This past week I also caught the last two episodes of Game of Thrones, Season 4, which is the last season on DVD.  Again wow!  A lot of action in some of those last two episodes, particularly with the battle at The Wall, and there was also a tying up of some of the plots during Season 4.  One of the ways the series has amazed me is how George R. R. Martin has been able to crank out writing the four novels and continues to write the novels to jive up with HBO series, although I think Season 4 is the second half taken from one of the books.  He's a writing machine as the Game of Throne has an expansive cast, multiple plot lines, and at times I've wondered if they are going to be able to continue the consistently great work that was laid down ever since Season One.  So far they have, even building upon the greatness.  It seems like each season has built upon the previous seasons, which amped up the tension, and finally with Season 4 we are given a few resolutions with the plot, not that it ends the story itself, just finding conclusions to certain plot threads.  Just enough for the viewers to feel rewarded and want to continue to watch.  Now I'm wondering where the story is going to go, some newer plots will probably be laid, and so on.  It's been a good TV series. 
I ran into this today if you're a Captain Marvel fan.  It's a two-part history of the Captain's Fawcett years.  You can read the first part, and there are links to the other parts on the site at the bottom:  http://www.newsarama.com/6730-an-oral-history-of-captain-marvel-the-fawcett-years-pt-1.html


2 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Filmed in Namibia of all places. Apparently there had been too much rainfall in the Australian desert so it was looking too flowery and non-apocalyptic. Well at least Charlize was only several hundred miles from home. It must have been tempting to visit in one of those vehicles.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I'd forgotten Charlize was South African. Yeah, who wouldn't want to go somewhere in one of those souped-up cars--you'd certainly be turning heads. Some of them would fit right in at a monster truck rally and certainly at a comic con too. What's awesome is that a lot of those vehicles were actually made, at least from what I've read on the web (and that's gotta be true, right?). http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/exclusive-first-look-the-cars-of-mad-max-fury-road

 

Post a Comment

<< Home