Saturday, June 06, 2015

6X6 2015 Show



This is the three pieces I entered in the 6X6 Show for this year.  They are all basically landscapes in one form or the other, at least that's my take on it.  It's a fund raiser event for the gallery so all funds go to the gallery, but I'd be happy to know if any of mine sell, I guess that would be some justification for having done them.  I changed my outlook on creating art this year over last year.  Last year, my intentions were just to do something that appealed to me, having fun making it, and not worrying about the subject matter.  This year, I re-evaluated that line of thinking, and thought well, the object of the show is commercial,  so really it needs to be something to sell.   I still have no fault with my original intention, but tweaked it a bit more to see if I couldn't capture someone's interest enough to buy. 

First I had to wonder, what does sell?  I found a short tip on the web that addresses that:

Okay that last bullet about cows vs. bulls and chickens vs. roosters eludes me a bit, but I can pretty much agree with the first and middle paragraph.  It's a bit hard to distance yourself from what you like and what someone else might like.  Generally I never bother with that notion.  I generally think, well, just create you like and if someone else appreciates it too, good.  But as I said I re-thought the matter, so we'll see how it goes.

These are the other two I submitted.  I was happy they way they came out. 

Music usually helps to inspire me too while painting, and for the first one, which really is mixed media and was sort of experimental I was inspired by the King Crimson album, Islands.   The bottom two which are space art inspired I was inspired by Hawkwind's  Hall of the Mountain Grill album. 

I ran across this recent interview with James Gurney.  He's the artist and writer for the books, Dinotopia, which are books l love.  His art and discussions about art are an inspiration for sure. 

The Plien Air Painting below in New York City is pretty cool.



4 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

Hope your work sells! That sounds pretty exciting.

Yeah as a fiction writer, I do sometimes worry that my material is just not that appealing to anyone else but me. So I ponder going a bit more commercial, and have even given it a spin earlier this year with some Robert E Howard style sword and sorcery short stories. Fun to write, but feeling a little generic. Anyway, I remember Stephen King saying something to the effect of: Why the hell are you writing if you don't want anyone to read it? And if you are writing for readers, it is usually a good idea to write for a audience.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Art and money have an ancient lineage. Some argue that the earliest art was money. Snail shells drilled with holes and coated in ochre turn up all over the prehistoric world. They date to a several thousand year range around 80,000 years ago, give or take several thousand years. The shells, all of similar type (species vary), obviously were strung into beads. They were both art and (anthropologists surmise) currency. It seems the entire prehistoric world was on the snail standard. I suppose one can do both: express oneself with some pieces and aim for the market with others. Sometimes, though, it is hard to create any other way than the way we normally do.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Well, the show went somewhat accordingly. When you throw a bunch of people into the mix you never know what will happen. Some of the dictates or rules that the gallery went by last year were either thrown out or just weren't enforced. I found that a bit odd, but I just assumed crowd control is hard to control. :) But last year, you were not supposed to touch a canvas or pick it up unless you were planning on purchasing it. The lady that is head of the gallery said that way the pieces were judge more on the art someone liked rather than on someone they knew. I thought that was a little bit of a strange rule, but after I went to the showing last Saturday, I saw another reason that might be a good idea.

I arrived a bit late, and I must confess I didn't participate with all the preceding this year as I had family down prior to the event, so I didn't or couldn't volunteer like last year (no biggie). So when I walked in, it was super crowded, which was what I was expecting. I made my way through the people to see what had sold--the art is hung color coded, so it's sort of easy to figure out where your art might be hanging ie. art that has a redish color is hung side by side with art that's also of red color, blues with blues, darks with blacker colors, and so on.

I figured the bottom two space art landscapes might sell, the bluer one called Islands, might be too experimental. That seemed to be the case. It looked like the other two had sold (or were picked up) as they were not hanging once I made my way around the gallery the first time. However I stayed for a bit, and after I was getting ready to leave, I noticed a lady that had gathered up a handful of painting was now putting some back up that she had decided she didn't want to buy. One of them was my yellow and red painting. So perhaps there's something to that don't touch anything unless you want to buy it because if someone is going to gather up ten painting to "think about" while they are holding onto them thinking, no one else can look, decide, and purchase them. It's not totally fair to other patrons and really I think the biggest buying day for that art is the initial opening show. So...I guess it is what it is, but maybe that rule should be enforced. Crowd control is pretty hard though when there's that many peoples squeezed inside a confined space, plus with music blaring, etc.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Roman--that surprises me a bit from King, as I usually thought he said he wrote mostly for himself and if someone else enjoys it's a win. I think that's the outlook of some other writers as well. I think the same thing applies to movies too with some of the screenings and asking audiences what they thought, the polling, etc.

Richard--you're probably right, find a balance, do something you enjoy, and you can also do something others will enjoy. It's just a good thing I don't have to rely on art to make a living that would be a hard road. If I participate next year, I'll still probably keep an audience in mind that seemed to be a good idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home