Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Great Beyond

Here's a podcast from one of my favorite NPR shows, Fresh Air with Terry Gross.  Astronomer Chris Impey discusses space travel, sex in space, and the connection between science and Buddhism.  Impey is the author of the book, Beyond: Our Future in Space.  Here's a link to listen. 

Here's another interview with Seth Godin on Singularity 101 that ranges on many topics: What does it mean to be human, artificial intelligence, technology, ethics, etc.  https://www.singularityweblog.com/seth-godin/

The new Avengers: Age of Ultron seems to be doing well at the box office, but I think I'd rather see Mad Max: Fury Road because I've been watching more action films lately due to mood.  From what I've seen and read Mad Max is going to do well too.  I ran across this video on Youtube, if you're a movie buff you might enjoy it. It is set up like a game show.  Mostly it's just a way to discuss movies, and whoever emerges as "the winner" is just subjective.  That said I thought it was fun and a pretty good time killer if you're in the mood.  It's from the crew known as Screen  Junkies, and Chris Stuckmann (a reviewer of films) is one of the participants, and Pat Healy (an actor that starred in the movie Cheap Thrills). 

Some of the topics they touched on were:  Pitch a Boba Fett Star Wars spinoff movie , who should play the next Punisher, who should direct the next Spider-Man movie, what film should be omitted from a franchise of films to make that franchise stronger or should never have been made, among others.  A fairly fun video.




3 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Seth is right that SF is not about making predictions (they're usually wrong) but about looking at things in a new way, and testing ethics in new situations. SF always reflects the biases and concerns of the time it was written or filmed, but the best of it remains valuable even when some of the suppositions start to look quaint, such as the gender roles in Forbidden Planet or the steampunk (before the word was coined) mechanisms in Metropolis.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

I need to give that video a watch. I really like Stuckmann and often agree with his commentary. Some of those topics would be very interesting to hear him speak about. I think the only area I don't really agree with him on is his unabashed love of all things Christopher Nolan. :)

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Richard I always thought of SF as a "what if", and another part of it for me is escapism and adventure. I guess I like the submersion that a lot of those worlds offer. If they tend to veer off into fantasy that's fine too, I just want an engaging tale, and if none of the predictions come true, that's okay too. I think if any predictions or parallels do happen; it's happenstance. Though sometimes it can be interesting when they do like cell phones, personal PCs, or iPads.

Roman, you'll probably enjoy the vid, I did. Chris has a serious tone, or you can tell he thought about those topics beforehand. He can be lighthearted & poke fun too. Yes, he sometimes has directors he loves, I guess we all do as fans. I have enjoyed some of Nolan's movies, but not all, however, I'll hand it to him for attempting to at least try to make some of them (and some of the ideas he tackles are fairly complex), and by and large pulling them off pretty well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home