Thursday, April 30, 2015

Sci-fi books

Hankering for something to read?  There's plenty if you have the time.  I ran across this link to many SF books, which they refer to as stand-alone novels.  The one above called The Mount by Carol Emshwiller sounded like an odd weird tale, so it appealed to me.  There's enough subjects covered on the list for ever taste however, whether it be space opera to alien invasion.  Here's a link: http://best-sci-fi-books.com/reddits-favorite-stand-alone-sf-novels/


The last book I bought was last weekend.  The Salvation Army was having a fund raising drive so I dropped by to see what they had.  The prices were very reasonable, but they didn't have a lot I was interested in.  I did however pick up the book by Joel Fuhrman, MD, Eat To Live (for twenty-five cents).   You may have seen Dr. Fuhrman on PBS during their pledge drives raising funds for your local PBS affiliate.  I think that's where I first noticed him.  I've since seen him on Dr. Oz.  His main goal is to get us to eat more fruits and vegetables, and stay away from processed foods.  He says that research has shown that in doing so you'll lose weight and also it helps to ward off diseases.  The more more nutrient-dense food you eat, the less you'll crave fat, sweets, and high-calorie foods.  Also if you eat the right foods, you can go back for seconds and thirds and not feel guilty.  He also says the the side dishes we used to eat with our meals, the salads and soups, and veggies, should be the main course of the meal as the above food pyramid shows.  The biggest portions we should be eating is veggies, then fruits and beans/legumes, also including nuts in the diet, and lastly the top part of the pyramid.  He sites GOMBS as being the superfoods: greens, onions, mushrooms, beans, and seeds. 

I don't have too much of a weight problem, although I could shed five or more pounds.  My problem is, I never knew really what to eat, or more specifically what is the right things to eat.  I'm not too picky of an eater so I don't mind most foods.  I don't have many stomach problems with acid reflux or what have you--though if you do, this book might be a way to solve some of that.  I used to think well, I'll eat at Taco Bell or wherever--how bad could it be?  A burrito has flour, beans, tomatoes, cheese, a little meat--it oughta be good for you, right?  Wrong.  I was fooling myself, but I don't think I was any different from most Americans.  Nutrition like personal finance is just one of those things we were never taught in school, but since it's one of the more practical things in life, it should be.

Anyway, I'm fixing to get up and take a walk.  Helps to get a little exercise too. With the warmer weather, I've been trying to get back into that routine again.  I should have been more active during the winter too.  Hindsight is 20/20.

I went around town the other day and took some pictures, so thought I'd share.





2 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I’ve read several on this list including all of the ones by Scalzi and Crichton, a couple by Reynolds, Stross, and Doctorow, plus a few stand-alone listings. Niven is so prolific that, despite having read quite a lot of him, I’ve opened only a couple on this list. It’s hard to fault the inclusion of any of them. Good to know there are a few score more quality sf books waiting to be picked up. The Lathe of Heaven is the best of Ursula K. Le Guin imho; the less said about the 2002 TV movie adaptation the better, but the 1980 PBS version is actually pretty good.

Interesting pics.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

You're quite the prolific reader, Rich. One of Crichton's books I've always been curious about has been Prey. The premise has always seemed interesting to me. The next time I run across it at a book sale I'll probably pick up a copy. Seems it would make a good SF movie if handled properly.

I think I tried to watch some of that LeGuin 2002 adaptation and couldn't get into it for some reason. I'll have to see if YT has the PBS version.

Yes, I'd think even if one is a big reader, there's always something new on the horizon that they'd want to read. I thought the list recommended some interesting reads.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home