Wednesday, April 15, 2015

RIP Herb Trimpe

Last Monday 4/13/15 Marvel artist Herb Trimpe passed away.  He's known for his work on The Incredible Hulk comic, but also penciled many others like Iron Man, Captain America, Sgt. Fury, Ant-Man, Killraven, Machine Man, Godzilla, G.I. Joe, Shogun Warriors, The Transformers and many more.

I'm not real familiar with his art or the stories that they were drawn for because I wasn't collecting comics at that time, but I can see how someone could become a fan of his dynamic style.  I read a tribute to him this morning by Savage Dragon creator, Erik Larsen, and it was a nice remembrance.   It made me want to scrounge through some of my back issues to see if I happened to have any of these comics of the Hulk from this era.  I know I have a reprint of the Wolverine vs. the Hulk issue.  I remember back in the mid-80's Wolverine had become a hot property, and that issue which pitted Wolverine against ol' green skins had also become a much sought after issue, so the back issue price had risen.  I was just interested in the story and art, so the reprinting worked fine for me, and it is a fun story.

At any rate, if interested in reading Erik Larsen's remembering of Herb Trimpe, it's here.  



3 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Blogger Sci-Fi Fanatic said...

Herb was by no means my favorite artist but he had a distinct style and he did have his moments where he did some cover art which really blew me away.

Sad to hear this news. That's too bad. He had such an influence on comic books. I've got to try and put a tribute together for him. He certainly deserves it.

Thanks for covering it.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I'd be interested in seeing your tribute. I found a Hulk comic he did from a worn Marvel book I own called Origins of Marvel Comics. This is a reprinting of some of the origins of some of their popular characters like The Hulk, Fantastic Four, etc.

One of the Hulk stories after his origin story is penciled by Trimpe, wherein the Hulk battles the Sub-Mariner. Nice art, and I was curious about the follow up issue. Marvel was always good with the cliffhangers so you'd be tempted to buy the next issue.

I couldn't say Trimpe was one of my favorites either because I just wasn't collecting during this era, but I can see he has a great classic style.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Drew said...

Trimpe was one of the lesser known Marvel artists but he had some great work! I've always been a huge fan of that generation of comic artists, from the 60s through the late 90s. The newer ones today just can't compare, in my view.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home