Monday, April 13, 2015

Rain and Crimson

Sunday I was in a funky mood.  Saturday though was a pretty great day as the sun had come out, and the weather felt cool and great, so I wanted to get out of the house.  I went on Craigslist to see if there were any cool garage sales in town, and noticed a listing for an estate sale by Divide and Conquer.  I like going to their sales as they tend to do more up-scale type estates, and even though I may not buy anything, I enjoy seeing some of the properties and neighborhoods where the sales are held.  Since it was on a Saturday that's the last day of the sale, so most of the good stuff is picked over, but the upside to that is everything is priced at half price.  I really didn't find much there that I was interested in, but did pick up a cheap $1.50 gold photo frame that I thought maybe I would use.

After that I ran by Home Depot for a bit.  I'm thinking of buying some, what are called, Knock-Off roses for my gardens, which are a variety of rose that you don't have to prune, and pretty much maintenance free.  Believe me, I'm all into that!   Later on that night, I caught a Dr. Who off KERA called Spearhead from Space.  I don't know if it was just a one time thing or they are going to be rebroadcasting these older Who episodes, but I hope of course, it's the later. 

There are a couple of things notable about this episode.  For one, it's the first episode starring Jon Pertwee as the doctor.  Also they bring back some familiar characters like Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and the division of Unit.  It also begins a more earthbound Dr. Who series of episodes set within the present day, with more conventional modes of transportation like vintage roadsters, helicopters, etc.   It was also shot on film, whereas the other episodes were shot on a video tape type format.  I'm not sure why the change in formats for this one episode, but generally they stuck with the video tape to shoot them as it was more cost effective.  Supposedly Spearhead from Space also was influenced by the older British film, Quatermass II at the beginning as a radar station detects the coming of a meteorite shower, which bears an alien consciousness within them.  All in all a pretty good episode with some pretty ghoulish looking robotic creatures in it.

Sunday we got a bunch of more rain, which we've been getting tons off.  I'd like to have a lot more sun, before the temperature turns into summer heat.  But I guess it is what it is.  Sunday I did catch a cool rock concert that I stumbled upon from Youtube.  It's the 70's version of King Crimson.
With their album, Larks' Tongue in Aspic,  they were transforming their sound.  They changed up some of their members picking up Bill Bruford on drums from the British band, Yes. They also got John Wetton from the British band, Family on bass. And also incorporated David Cross and Jamie Muir on mellotron, drums, and an assortment of other instruments.  A lot of the players in Crimson switch off instruments too depending on what the songs call for.  For example, Robert Fripp can be seen in the video playing mellotron on one song, while mostly he's their guitarist, and so forth.  They still kept their progressive rock style, but were making it more intense and rhythmic at this time.  That era is still a great one, and I still remain a great fan of theirs today.  Lark's Tongue, along with their album, Red, and Starless and Bible Black make a triptych of rock albums that remains to this day experimental, enigmatic, and avant-garde.





2 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

The 70s were a more creative time in popular music than I gave them credit for being at the time. (But then I also failed to notice just how weird our hair and clothes had become.) I think this was because I disliked the iconic 70s sound disco so much. But there was so much more happening: glam, progressive, punk, metal, new country and more. Amd, even though I disliked it, disco was (at least initially) innovative. I wonder if I'll look back and think, "Wow, the 20-teens had especially creative popular music." Nah, I don't think so.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Oh yeah, the 70's were pretty creative, I would assume the record industry had never been healthier. I didn't like disco either, not even the Bee Gee's stuff, though I thought Saturday Night Fever was an ok film.

But yes, there was a ton of other music that was getting made during that era that you've already referenced: Glam--David Bowie, Tubes, Sparks, Progressive--Genesis, Yes, Crimson, Pink Floyd, Punk--Talking Heads, Clash, Police, and a ton more, and so on. And you still had stuff like Dire Straits, U2, and classic acts making great albums like Dylan, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, etc.

I guess it's like a quote I read somewhere said: If you thought the 60's was something, the 70's just carried along the tradition into more excess. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home