Monday, April 27, 2015

Like A Velvet Glove

I ran across a few interviews with Daniel Clowes.  One of them, the one from the Comics Journel I already had read some time back when I was more involved with comics and had a subscription to the Comics Journel, but I'll share it.  Clowes had two movies made from his comic stories.  One was Ghost World, and the other was Art School Confidential.  You may or may not have enjoyed those films, or maybe you haven't seen them, but either way that's a frame of reference.  As they say, the books, or comics books are much better.  Clowes has a oddness and humorous aspect about his work that rivals David Lynch in some aspects, that sometimes doesn't translate to the screen.  At any rate, here's the Comics Journal interview.

The next two interviews I haven't read or seen, so I'll have to come back to them later as I've got a dentist appointment today to get a cavity filled, woo hoo!  One of them comes from Mother Jones magazine, and the other is a video from the Vimeo site.  For whatever reason a lot of the videos from Vimeo don't load well or stream smoothly for me, but the Daniel Clowes: Art's Talk seems to, at least initially when I was looking at it earlier. 

Of the two films mentioned above, I'd start with Ghost World first.  It's probably the better of the two, but I can appreciate them both on some level.   Ghost World was directed by Terry Zwigoff, who also directed Crumb, the documentary on Robert Crumb, the underground cartoonist--another one I'd recommend seeing.  It also stars a young Scarlett Johansson as Rebecca, and Thora Birch as Enid.  They are a pair of disaffected teenagers, Rebecca, a bit older, who are best friends, and live in Los Angeles that go about their days going to thrift shops, music stores, etc. Steve Buscemi is also in the film and plays a a miserable, outcast type guy who collects vintage blues, jazz, and ragtime 78s.  He ends up getting to know Enid. 



2 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I didn’t see Ghost World but liked Art School Confidential. It was pleasantly off beat, and one suspects that the prison glass may provide enough distance to keep the couple together.

Sounds like a good cast on Ghost World.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yeah, I liked Ghost World too definitely spoofing the whole art world school experience. It's been so long since I've read the graphic novel I don't know if that whole ending with the rioting etc. was in it or created just for the film.

Clowes created another similar type story with a novel called Pussey. About a young cartoonist named Dan Pussey who is trying to learn the ropes around the timeframe of the Jack Kirby generation (as best as I can remember). But it was a fun read too. Overall Clowes was one of my favorite cartoonist while he was around still publishing. I guess since he has gotten money from the two films, he's living the high life & taking life as it comes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home