Sunday, April 26, 2015

David Fincher & Other movies this past week

Today I ran across an interview with David Fincher on the Playboy site.  He's the director of many successful films: Fight Club, Zodiac, The Social Network, The Game, Seven, and many others.  The last movie I saw by him was Gone Girl, which I enjoyed.  For the most part I like his films, some more than others, but he seems to make smart films that make you think.  Two of my favorite by him are probably The Game, sort of strange film that's not really Sci-Fi, but has that feel to it or speculative fiction.  The other is Zodiac about the serial killer that plagued the San Francisco area some years back.  At any rate, if interested here's the interview. 

I found out about the interview through another site I ran across called Beyond Cinephilia & Beyond while looking around on the web.  It's a site devoted to films, and maybe you have to be a member to get full access to the area, but at least has a lot of links to some directors, films, and such.  He also had a link to scripts, which if that interest you check them out on the site. 

Last night I watched the horror film, The Babadook.  It was a pretty good horror film for a change.  I say that as lately the horror genre just hasn't done much for me.  A lot of horror films are devoid of tension, which I think makes for good horror.  They dwell to much with gore, or it's cliched with a setup and kill off premise, and I loose interest rather quickly.  There's not much gore in the Babadook, with the exception of perhaps one quick scene, but otherwise it's a pretty well made horror film about a young woman trying to raise her son who has emotional problems probably caused by the absence and death of his father.  At some point in time her son finds a creepy children's book about a boogie man type character called Mr. Babadook.  What I liked about the film was the way the intensity was mounted reminding me of The Exorcist a little bit.  The intensity came in waves, then there would be moments of pause, and then build more intensity.  When I say intensity, I mean tension, but it's not graphic, and it's not extreme either, but it does help to amp up the scenes.  All in all a pretty good film.

Earlier this week I caught the animated film, The Tale of The Princess Kaguya directed by Isao Takahata .  I'm not sure if it's considered anime, although it was created by Studio Ghibli that have made many other well known anime.  But if it is, it was different from their norm in its watercolor art style, which I didn't mind at all.  In fact I'd like to see them vary more and more in their styles and artwork.

It's a pretty straightforward Japanese folk tale taken from "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter" about a farmer finding a young baby in a forest, inside some bamboo he's harvesting.  The older couple adopt the girl and raise her as their own.  In the forest while she grows up she befriends many of the rural children around the region, and has a slight crush or fondness for one of the boys.  Amazing enough the story is fairly linear in its telling, yet doesn't get boring at all, and a large part of it is due to the artwork with its subtle, organic depiction of nature, but also has some action scenes which are handled well too.  The story itself is endearing, charming, emotional, and really well crafted. 





4 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I liked the Babadook too. It shows once again that big budgets are nice but not necessary when you have a good script.

I like that it is open to interpretation. It isn’t necessarily supernatural if one allows the possibility of entities that operate on a different set of physical principles than those to which we are accustomed.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, I liked that it's open to interpretation too. Some don't like that, but it gives me something to think about later. The movie Enemy had similar aspects as did No Country For Old Men, which some liked & others not.

If I ever get stumped on what the director/writers etc. are trying to say, you can always search further on the web to help figure things out.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

I really like Fincher's visual style. "Zodiac" is a really great movie, and under appreciated too. I need to check out "Gone Girl". It sounds pretty darn good. I think my favorite film of his is "Seven". That movie still holds up well.

I just caught "The Babadook" as well. Should have a review up for it soon. Stuckmann really liked it and I have to say he was right on the money with that one.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

I enjoyed Gone Girl and most of Fincher's films, although I don't have many of them in my collection except for The Game iirc. If you haven't seen it, you might want to give it a watch too. Zodiac was really well made (as are most of his films) and had some great performances. Both Robert Downey, Jr. and Jake Gyllenhaal played good roles in it. It's been a while since I've seen Seven, but have been looking for used copies in my pawn shop buying sprees. :) There's nothing like buying a great movie for $2. :)

I like Stuckmann too, he's by far the best reviewer on YT and I have similar taste to his, so I tend to stay up what he enjoys. You should enjoy The Babadook.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home