Thursday, April 16, 2015

Art Talk

This is the album cover to one of Sonic Youth's albums called Sonic Nurse painted by the artist, Richard Prince, and I think it's one of their better efforts. It's a pretty easy place to start if you're unfamiliar with their avant-garde brand of noise rock.  For the longest time back in the 90's I tried to get into their music and always found it to be off-putting, pretentious, impenetrable, puzzling, uneven, noisy-for-the-sake-of-it among other things.  And then one day it clicked for me, which is not to say I still don't feel that way at times.  I have to be in the mood for that type of discordant style of music to full appreciate it.  But at least I can appreciate it now whereas in the past I could not. 

At any rate, one of the draws to Sonic Youth's albums or any other musicians' albums really is the album art.  Album art is suppose to induce or seduce you into picking up the album, much like a book or comic.  Back before the internet and when I was growing up,  it was about all you had to go on as to what the band might sound like, unless they  had a hit single on the radio that you'd heard.    And for a large part of  it, captured the music visually pretty well.  Sure ever so often I'd buy something that I didn't like, but I was surprised at how most of the time the album art went so well with the music inside. 

At any rate, today I ran into this video on the artist, Richard Price, so I thought I'd share.  I like this sort of thing, as I'm interested in art and the artist that made it.  What's behind their thinking, what the process to making the art, what are they trying to communicate, what's their motivation, etc.

Here's some links to other videos in that manner.  Most of these artist I'm unfamiliar with so I have a lot to look forward to and discover:  http://www.vice.com/series/art-talk

2 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Just as puzzling is the question of what makes one artist collectible and another not. To be sure, a collectible artist has to have something, but that isn't enough.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Good question. My guess is at least in contemporary times, perhaps personality and promotion plays into it a great deal--I'm thinking of Warhol as an example. He was fairly social.

Plus I think if an artist is friendly, gregarious a little bit, that's going to go further with a gallery owner, clientele, or an art critic than being too quiet, contrary, or otherwise. But yes, above all the artwork helps to sell it too, which is talent.

Granted there are thousands of talented artist, some more famous that others, but what makes some stand out above the others when they both share about the same amount of talent, etc.? Good question, perhaps luck?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home