Saturday, March 14, 2015

Star Blazers Reminiscences

I thought I'd piggyback this article I found on i09 about one writer's reminiscences on the early anime, Star Blazers, and it also details a bit about their teen years of being bullied in high school.  I didn't know too much about Star Blazers until around perhaps the late 90's or so when a friend made mention of it one day when eating pizza.  I asked him what he was talking about as I just never ran across it on TV or anything I read.  He was a pretty big SF and Star Wars fan, and compared it to space opera and Star Wars, so I was intrigued, and bought the first VHS tape to the series.  I'll admit, I thought it was pretty good, and again didn't know much about it coming from the original version of Space Battleship Yamato either.  I wonder if he did since it was a bit before the web has grown like it is now.   At any rate, if you're a fan of the show, you might like reading the article here.  

There's also a web comic series, here. 



2 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I think all of us enjoy escaping into some fantasy world or other at that age. I didn't have a specific series in mind when I hightailed it home from school, but one of the 7 NY TV stations was sure to be offering horror or scifi (mostly vintage 1930s-50s) in the afternoon, and that worked just fine. I suppose nowadays kids more often jump into the world of a video game.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yeah, I don't remember hurrying home around that age either, because I usually had to use a bus system, and you had to wait around to catch it and it took a while to get home.

I really don't remember any TV program I was amped up to see at that time. More than anything I was ready for a snack and then me and my brother might go outside to play around doing something (shoot hoops, ride a bike, etc.) or mess around with a friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home