Friday, March 13, 2015

Speculative Fiction

I read this article about speculative fiction, and I'm not one to split hairs  much over what to call something. I generally just call stuff that looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, a duck, so if I see something that looks like Sci-Fi whether it be Star Wars, or Godzilla, or whatever else, I just lump it into SF as a broad genre, whereas someone else may take exception to it.

I once had some guy take me to task over some movie or book for making mention of it being Sci-Fi.  I have no idea how serious he was or whether or not this was one of his great pet peeves or whatever, but I just thought, whatever, lighten up dude--you know what I mean...  He also mentioned that Harlan Ellison (whom I like) would take me to task over such labeling as well, and I think he was more opposed to the hyphenating (Sci-Fi).  I thought about that, and I know Harlan probably would as well, but hey, if Harlan be outspoken and say and do what he wants so can I.  End of story.  ha.

I don't  agree with the writer of the article that big-budget SF can't be philosophical, after he already mentioned two examples above his disclaimer.   But I guess he's saying that big-budget films are more about action (but can't they be both?).  At any rate, here's the article. 

Been awful rainy here the past few weeks, and I've been trying to get my paperwork together for taxes so I can get that over and done with, which is being worked on currently.  I've also got a summons for jury duty on Monday, which I'm not looking forward to, but I guess it's my civic duty--and there's no exemptions that I think of, heh.  I had a friend once tell the judge that he didn't think he was of sound mind or moral character to sit on the jury, but the judge told him to go sit back down. 

4 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I find that fussing over names a little silly too. Is it a comic book or a graphic novel? Is it rocknroll or rock and roll? Gertrude Stein (echoing Will): A rose is a rose is a rose. As for budgets I'll merely note how remarkably unrelated they are to film quality.

Yes, I feel the pain. I just got back from my accountant's office several hours ago.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Richard, hooray I'm not the only one. :) Another genre whose lines get so blurred and fuzzy it's not funny is metal music (not that I listen to it or care, really). Is it speed metal, death metal, heavy metal, nu metal, sludge metal, grindcore metal, post metal, power metal, thrash metal, stoner metal, etc.....

Yep, that time of year again. Boy a flat tax "might" be nice. I'm careful for what I wish for.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Sci-Fi Fanatic said...

I think they can as well.

I think Prometheus is a good example of your point.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I guess we're on the same page then SFF. I enjoyed Prometheus as well & have a DVD copy. That movie was polarizing, I'm not sure why all the hate, granted I read many of the criticisms of the film. I thought overall it was a better film than the Alien vs. Predator films, though I could enjoy them on some level too.

I think with the advent of the web everyone has become a critic, so I tend to tune out some of the noise. And I'm not opposed to everyone forming/having their own opinions, but it helps if they have (as Harlan Ellison has said) an "informed opinion". Ha. Also with some of the nattering nabobs of negativity I'm not too sure they do... Ha. It could be too, that we are drawn to people whose opinions we share, and vice versa.

But yeah, good point on Prometheus being big budget and philosophical too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home