Friday, February 27, 2015

RIP, Leonard Nimoy--He lived long and prospered.

I was sorry to read the news that Leonard Nimoy passed away on Friday.  It's hard to let go of some of the memories and pleasures that some actors gave to you throughout all those growing years.   I still watch the old Star Trek: TOS series on Me TV just about every Saturday night, unless something is amiss.  I at least have to watch the opening sequence:  Space, the final frontier.

I got to see Nimoy live in Odessa, Tx of all places when he was asked to speak commemorating the opening of the new Odessa College gym back, if memory serves, in the mid-80's.  It was a packed house as one would imagine--I mean packed to the rafters.  He gave, probably for him, a rehearsed speech for such occasions, but shoot I think he could have said nearly anything and nobody would have cared. It was fun just to see him live in person.  I always thought he had a lot of charisma. 

Here's a New York Times obit for him. 

Below is a short bio told by Leonard.



6 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

The pop culture (and high culture -- but mostly pop culture) figures of our youth are as influential to us as the people we know personally, so we feel the loss similarly. We know that's a bit weird, but we do anyway.

Nimoy did have the right charisma for his most famous part. None of the other Vulcans in the franchise -- thought I've liked a few including Kim Cattrall -- quite measured up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UypRnJHo41w

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

I think you're right, Rich. Although none will hit you in the heart like the loss of your own family (if you were close to your family), they still leave an indelible hole, and remind you of a time in your life that once was.

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger Sci-Fi Fanatic said...

Very nice very sweet clip.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

SFF--yeah, I didn't find it until I did the original posting, but I thought it was a nice clip so posted it later on.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

Yeah I grew up with TOS during the reruns of the 80s. My grandmother was a huge fan of Shatner, but Spock was always my favorite. "Star Trek II" really did a number on me. Between that and Han Solo getting frozen in "Empire" I was one traumatized kid. :)

It's sad to see another favorite actor leaving our Earth. But I played the scores to STII and STIII in tribute. Some great music by James Horner.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

LoL I can see being traumatized by both of those cinematic events too. I couldn't believe the cliffhanger of Solo being frozen either. I think of all the great pop art I've seen throughout the years, and I'm really grateful to believe in the era I'm in.

I can see Horner's score being a fitting tribute. I have STII on vinyl, but it's a bit scratchy. One of these days I need a replacement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home