Thursday, February 19, 2015

El Rey--The Director's Chair

We got a new channel on our cable (Suddenlink) network here called El Rey launched by Robert Rodriguez, which shows a bunch of action, adventure, exploitation stuff.  So far so good.  I don't know if it's just a teaser or promo or what, but I've been enjoying some of it.   I saw parts of the Beastmaster, Red Sonja, and The Outfit today (off and on).  And saw most of a Shaw Brothers film last night, although I forget the title, about a group trying to smuggle arms in WWII.  I hope this is a regular fixture and not a paid channel as it's nice to have another TV channel that is worth watching.  It wouldn't be hard to beat the Syfy Channel the way they've been running things lately.  They also have slated some interviews with directors.  So far, John Carpenter, Quentin Tarantino, and Francis Ford Coppola.  I enjoy that sort of thing as well.


4 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

Wow that sounds like a really great channel. We don't get cable TV any more, but I'll keep my eyes open and see if they offer it on any of our mystical boxes. :)

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, they may offer it. I found it by happenstance really. I was eating lunch in the kitchen and it's the TV that's hooked up to the cable box, and notice the channel on it when flipping thru the guide mode. I wondered if I could get it, so went there and sure enough it started playing.

When I went into my room to see if it played in there, it didn't, as it's not hooked up to the cable box. So I had to do another channel scan on my TV and again it picked it up. I also picked up BBC America, which was an added bonus. So I guess sometimes it pays to scan your channels ever so often.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Great interview with Carpenter.

Looks like great guilty pleasures on that channel. Re "Red Sonja," Brigitte Nielson once hugged me, which makes me cut the film even more slack. It's not enough to make "Compelling Evidence" compelling though -- or even watchable.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes it was Rich, I enjoyed it too, and it's one of those things I wished could have been longer.

Woo hoo, hugs from Brigitte. I could have gone for that. :) She's had her problems after her climb to fame, but I guess we all do in this world. I can enjoy Red Sonja on an escapism level, it's fun. Compelling Evidence--I see what you are doing there, but haven't seen it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home