Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Shape of Things to Come


Finally, the sun came out.  Huzzah!!   Here's an article I found on Ray Bradbury's house that is being torn down.  It seems a shame in some ways, but I guess that's how life and the world works--out with the old, and in with the new.   http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-ray-bradbury-house-being-torn-down-20150113-story.html

It's weird to think of time.  I'll occasionally think about this area I'm currently living.  It's where my Dad was born and raised, and I grew up east of here in a similar midsized town, Longview.  But I'll think, this place was here before I was born, and will be here after I'm gone.  On walks that I take along the backroad to this place there's this overgrown area of trees that simply looks rather prehistoric, and I'll think the same thing.

At any rate, the world changes, and we do as well to some degree.  I bought the new Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (or season) the other day off eBay.  It's a five disc set, and I got a pretty good deal on it.  Last night I watched the first story, called Deep Breath, and it was pretty good.  This is the beginning of the new twelfth doctor starring Peter Capaldi along with Jenna Coleman.  The episode opens as a dinosaur is terrorizing London.  The doctor and Clara are adjusting to his new incarnation, and meet a robotic man who is seeking paradise.  It all seemed a bit steampunk to me in some ways, and I enjoyed that aspects of it.  In fact a lot of Dr. Who these days sort of strikes me that way.  So the doctor and Clara have a dinosaur and this robot to deal with, and they are teamed up with the Paternoster Gang, which have appeared in other previous episodes from the Matt Smith era.  I kind of enjoy that gang, they add a different dimension, and at times, comedic relief to the show.  As usual things gets sussed out, and all ends well.

There are some special features on the first disc as well, which have some behind the scene stuff, commentary, and so forth.  One of the features is about the Dr. Who World Tour, which takes them to several cities around the globe, more or less to promote the program.  But what I found odd is that there's so many Dr. Who fans in South Korea, Australia, Rio de Janeiro, etc.  Also when I watched it, I remembered the small, local Dr. Who club that we had back in West Texas.  It consisted of just a handful of folks, who were also members in a Star Trek club as well--this was around the time Next Generation had started airing on TV.  But anyway, one of the guys in the Dr. Who club had built a Tardis console.  It actually looked pretty decent too, and was modeled after one of the earlier incarnation of the classic console (as they keep modernizing it).  It's the one with the  glass dome in the middle of it. 
I don't know what happened to that console. I think he gave it to another member, who kept it a while in his garage.  I don't know if he still has it or not, or what became of it.  I should call him to chat a bit, and ask him about that console.  At any rate, judging from the first episode of the new Dr. Who season, Peter Capaldi should make a pretty good doctor, we'll see.

4 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Every 100 years the entire population of the earth is replaced (well, 120 years to eliminate every single last straggler). There are no US veterans of WW1 left alive. Yet it really isn't so long ago if one thinks how quickly a decade goes by and that there are only 10 since then. Unless we partner with Dr. Who, though, we'll never meet the last century's bunch or the next. He prefers attractive women for that role though, so I won't qualify.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, 120 sounds about right. I have an aunt that lives close to me that is 99 and will be 100 this coming Nov. I hope she makes it. Though it's not without some downside to being that age.

Yes, Dr. Who picks up some nice looking companions for a guy that old. I'd like to know his secret.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Sci-Fi Fanatic said...

Ha I had those same reflections recently staring out at the trees from my house. I thought, man, you'll be there and I'll be gone. Too funny, but I have these reflections as well.

Loved your brief commentary on the new Who. I haven't bought it yet ,but look forward to any thoughts you may have in the series.

Nice comment from Richard as well.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

SFF--I guess thinking about mortality, once you enter adulthood is pretty common. There are a lot of perspectives one can take on it, I guess. I tend not to dwell on it, as like a lot of folks day to day living kicks in and demands one's attention.

Yes, so far, I'm happy I bought the Dr. Who set. I'm anxious to see a few more. Over the weekend I watched a couple of movies, as I enjoy variety and usually don't binge very much. But overall I think it might be a pretty good series.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home