Saturday, January 10, 2015

Life is Sweet

Sitting here listening to some John Coltrane.  It's his Giant Steps CD.  I like it because for lack of any other words: it's upbeat, fairly joyful, and works wonders for my emotional state.  I'm doing laundry, and need to do some other chores around the house.  So this is a short and sweet post.  2015 is here!! Whoo hoo!!

I watched a movie last night called Only God Forgives, and I don't recommend it because it was one of those arthouse flicks without much plot and pretty slow in the pacing.  But I also caught a rather independent film documentary on the gonzo Rolling Stone/ Creem rock critic, Lester Bangs, that I did think was worthwhile, at least to me since I like music so much.  He was sort of smarmy in his reviews, and his outlook perhaps, but seemingly pretty smart.  I don't agree with him a large part of the time either, nor share his particular slant in taste.  Oh sure we like some of the same stuff, but overall he leaned more towards punk and garage bands, which I enjoy on occasion--oh, and he like Coltrane.  So there's that. 

At any rate, 2015 is looking pretty sweet as far as some of the movies that will come out this year.  I'm already looking forward to Ant Man in some ways.  You gotta love a character that rides on the back of ants, and wear a cool helmet like that.

But hey, later, later on in the year we'll get a new Disney Star Wars film too, and, AND a new Avengers film, and, AND a new Jurassic World film--I love dinosaurs.   Here's a rundown of some of the newer movies to be coming our way in this new year:  http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69908

Have and share some JOY today.


4 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Coltrane is cool, though for background sax I'll usually opt for Bull Moose Jackson. I have to thank John Waters ("Cry Baby" soundtrack) for reminding me of him.

I liked the Ant Man comics as a kid. (I realize now these must have been his first appearances, and those comics would be worth a bundle had I kept them.) I'll give the flick a shot. As for dinosaurs...well, I got a bag of them for Christmas (my guests & I do a random lottery exchange of cheap gifts) and I'm still playing with them.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I have not heard of Bull Moose Jackson, so I'll have to Google him, or see if Amazon has some sound bytes.

Your guest have good and fun taste. I'd love to get a dinosaur toy for Christmas. I never read any solo Ant Man adventures, but he and the Wasp showed up in the early Avengers stories at Marvel. For some reason the ability to either shrink or grow large appealed to me, weird as that sounds as I type it. But yeah, the movie should hopefully be a lot of fun.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Sci-Fi Fanatic said...

So here's how I'm lined up.

Ant-Man- enh to no interest.
Star Wars- definitely interested
Jurassic World- interested.
Avengers - no interest. And I really didn't care for the first film - bored me to tears.

Lots on offer for us though.

All the best wishes in the new year
sff

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Hey SFF Yeah, I bet there are a few other films in there that will catch your attention before the year ends. There are always a few surprises. Now I've said that all ahead of time, but of course, things like bad reviews influence whether or not I make it down to the big screen. If a movie gets lukewarm reviews, like say, Godzilla did, I can just wait for the DVD. And with Godzilla I'm glad I did, because I was pretty disappointed with that film, generally speaking.

Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty good, and I'm guessing it would have been cool to see on the large screen, but actually I was fine just watching it on TV too. Plus to tell you the truth, I thought it was okay, but a little bit too much aimed at the 18 to 30 years old. There's nothing wrong with that either, it was just a bit too jokey for my taste, while others loved it.

Probably the one exception would be Star Wars. Even if it bombs with critics or the public, and I would think Disney would try to have a decent film, but even if it tanks like say John Carter (which for me, that wasn't a bad film at all, it just got mixed reviews), AND even if Jar Jar takes on a leading alien character, I'll more than likely see it at the theater. I hoping that it does well though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home