Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Escapist

 Still nursing an allergy attack, sinus infection, or cold.  I don't know which, but feels like allergies.  I'm dealing with runny nose and sneezing mostly, which for the layman doesn't sound like much, but when your nose runs constantly, it'll wear you down.  So the only thing to do, is pop some meds, and sort of self medicate the best way you know how.  I assume the change in the season has something to do with it as well.   Texas isn't exactly one of the better states for allergy suffers--too much pollen and stuff to aggravate the condition.

So I stayed inside, and watched the sports movie, The Pride of the Yankees with Gary Cooper and Teresa Wright.  Overall it's a good movie where Cooper plays Lou Gehrig, and Wright playing his adoring wife, there are other stars like Walter Brennan, who keep the story going, but it does seem a bit overly long and also a bit overly syrupy, sentimental, but I feel like it captures the time frame well. Still it's not a bad way to spend a cold day, and has a cameo role in it too with the real Babe Ruth. Of the two more famous Cooper roles, Pride of the Yankees or Sergeant York, and I guess you could throw High Noon in there too, I tend to favor York.  If you've never seen the movie, Sergeant York, it's worth watching also, again based on a nonfictional character, but both movies have some excellent scenes.  In Pride of the Yankees the director captures the stadium and crowd scenes well, so it all appears epic and larger than life. 

Later on I made some nine bean soup.  I soaked the beans the night before, and cooked them yesterday as I made some brown rice.  There's plenty there so I can eat on them just about for the rest of the week.  I tend to enjoy meals of this nature.  I'm a stay home, hunker down, eat leftovers-type guy.

Yesterday was Veteran's Day, and although I didn't serve, my Dad did in WWII, in the Invasion of Sicily and onward into Italy.  He was drafted into the war pretty much right out of high school around the age of nineteen or so and was sent to Morocco first.  I'm sure it was an early experience he carried with him all his life.  I found some old Disney and Warner Brother cartoons centered around the WWII effort, and it seemed to fit well with the day.  These are the type cartoons I tend to remember from my youth, and the sort that I tend to enjoy now ever so often. 


Ran into this gaming site, which I was unaware of called The Escapist.  I don't play a lot of games, and have never owned a console, however, I have an interest there somewhat.  There's also pop cultural reviews there and that sort of thing. 

Also over the weekend I watch the documentary on Bill Hicks called, America: The Bill Hicks Story.  
Hicks was a young comedian out of Houston, Texas. It was pretty good, if you don't mind his working blue occasionally.   I thought it was amazing that he knew what he'd want to do with his life at such a young age growing up in the Houston suburbs.  Overall it's a pretty interesting movie. 

2 Comments:

At 4:44 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Gary Cooper did some good stuff, whether in comedies (Ball of Fire), drama (The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell), or mixtures (Meet John Doe). An early appearance in the silent Wings (1927) is usually credited with making him a star -- and precipitating a fling with Clara Bow.

I love the old Warner Brothers and Disney cartoons despite their un-PC moments (more often with WB than Disney), and the wartime ones are propaganda at their most admirable and enjoyable.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, Meet John Doe is an odd mixture. I didn't know what to think of it on initial viewing. I'd certainly watch it again when it comes back on TCM. Wings I've seen parts of, and will watch again, and the others I'm going to have to keep a lookout for.

Your spot on with the cartoons, and yes, they're somewhat un-PC, but golly, I hardly know what that means these days after the South Park era :) Actually, I do, but I can overlook it pretty easily.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home