Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving Indifference

Thanksgiving has just about come and gone.  I made a few things for a small meal and kept it pretty simple.  I cooked some turkey breast, made a couple of salads, cooked a sweet potato, and also a green bean casserole.  It all turned out pretty well too--well, it was edible, I probably won't win any awards.  I always like the above Tex Avery cartoon.  I remember watching it as a kid.  Any of the political humor was lost on me, and  the semblances of movie stars, like I know the turkey is Jimmy Durante, I'm not sure if the pilgrim is suppose to be Ed Wynn or perhaps someone else.  The schnoz reminds me of Wynn somewhat.  I always liked the craziness of the Avery cartoons though.

I've been thinking of entering an art show here, the theme for the show is Remixed.  Lately I've thought of trying my hand at paper collage just to keep things simple.  Though you can get as complex with it as much as you want.  I have trouble with the themes somewhat.  I know it's a way to get the artist to think and then apply that to their art, to jump start their creativity.  It sort of bugged me at first, but I thought might as well take it in a positive manner, and if nothing else, create something, and wrap a philosophy around it.  I guess the reason I was indifferent to it, is because although there's a theme to the shows, you'd hardly know it if you were to walk into the gallery and look around.  The last show's theme was Against All Odds.  I thought and thought about that one, and I think I was over thinking it.  I didn't enter it as for whatever reason, I got too busy, plus was under the weather.   Below is some of the art from that show.


Another thing, I hate to be a spoiled sport, but the entry fee to just enter the show is twenty bucks, which allows you to enter three pieces.  That's sort of high just for the "prestige" of entering a show.  Granted it is a place where one "might" sell their artwork, but then the gallery charges you another twenty percent if you make a sale.  I don't know, that seems like the artist are being gouged by the gallery somewhat and keeping it afloat.  I don't know how other such galleries around the country find their financing to stay open, but I'd like to look into that angle a bit more.  I think the gallery downtown gets some of their funding from the city (perhaps), but maybe they get a grant or support from somewhere else.  But it seems the artist support it a lot financially too, and it seems it should be somewhat the other way around.  Darn, I don't know very many wealthy artist, other than the famous ones, but most local ones around here are not and are mostly just part timers.  I don't know about the other artist, but I wonder if they have similar criticisms or viewpoints?

If you entered this gallery's shows very often, you'd be in the hole financial pretty quickly and to tell you truth, I doubt anything I'd whip up would sale anyway, in fact, I doubt much sells in the gallery.  And I don't know if the twenty bucks for the entrance fee is worth it.  For twenty bucks, I can eat a good meal out and take in a movie.  Maybe I'm a tightwad, but I weigh stuff like that.  In fact, I could eat a meal out, take in a movie, and then go to the gallery opening for free and be pretty satisfied.  I guess small galleries are a tough go in small cities, I don't know.  At the same time people wonder why art is so expensive.  Have you price oil paint lately, man, it's expensive.  Other art supplies are as well.  Oh well, these are just some thoughts I've had lately.

I saw the movie Sin City 2 the other night, and if you enjoyed the first movie, which was just called Sin City, you'd probably like this one too.  I did on some level.  It again contains several crime stories stitched together, with some of the same actors like Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, and Jessica Alba showing up for this installment too.  This sequel is a bit more linear in storytelling, but it was a decent watch.

I actually caught a preview of Lucy as well as someone illegally uploaded a copy of it onto Youtube last Sunday night.  That happens from time to time.  I'd heard the premise to the movie, which is about a young woman, played by Scarlett Johansson who ingest some drugs that raises her brainpower exponentially.  I was going to pass on this one partly due to the last movie she was in called  Under the Skin.  It was sort of an alien art house movie.  It didn't do a heck of a lot for me, and really found it pretty boring.  Also Lucy has the same premise as another film I'd seen and enjoyed called Limitless, which I thought was pretty good.  I didn't see how Lucy could add any new ground to what had already been explored, but it was put up on Youtube as one of the years best action films, and that intrigued me, as I'd heard it more or less pitched as a Sci-Fi film.  I thought it was a pretty good combination of both, depending on your taste.  For me, however, I enjoyed the ride.  I've read where it's gotten pretty mixed reviews, and it's one of those films that you don't want to over think it.  It's directed by Luc Besson, who isn't noted for that deep of films anyway, but I've enjoyed some of his films like The Professional, The Fifth Element, and La Femme Nikita.  I'd say most of his films strikes me as style over substance, and Lucy is pretty much of that genre.

I don't know if you read or saw the movie, The Watchman, but there was a guy in it, called Dr. Manhattan, who accidentally while working at a nuclear facility gets turned, more or less, into this god-like creature.  He looses his touch or tie with humanity, and eventually becomes pretty alienated and goes to Mars. Lucky sort of reminded me of that a bit.  It had some interesting action sequences too, and some pretty cool special effects on how perhaps a super being might perceive parts of our world or universe.  If you go in thinking it's an action film, rather than some heady SF film, maybe you can overlook some of its flaws, which for me, weren't many.  I enjoyed the ride pretty well.  It's probably also one of those films, where you shouldn't  read too much about it and avoid spoilers.

                                           Revenge of the Giant Turkey.

                                                              Ouch!


 






2 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I liked the latest Sin City too. It is ramped up from the first almost to Kill Bill levels, but that works.

Getting exposure is always hard for any artist of any type nowadays in any venue that matters. In Manhattan almost any relatively unknown band has to pay for the privilege of playing in a half-way popular club such as Arlene's Grocery. I used to follow a really good songwriter singer named Fiona Sand whose sound I thought was commercial. Apparently it wasn't. (She still has a myspace page -- remember myspace? https://myspace.com/fionasand/music/songs ) Eventually she no longer could afford to finance her own exposure and she moved back to Norway. I'm sure visual art has a similar uphill climb.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, I wondered while I watched Sin City 2 how it would come across done in a more noir straightforward way, and it probably could be done that way, but it would need a whole new direction.

Boy, I'll say it's an uphill battle. I used to date a gal that was a poet, and I think she somewhat felt that promotion was 50% of it, and she might have been right. You have to stay out there and pretty much flaunt yourself. Ha. I'm certainly too laid back in my approach and endeavors. Thank God I don't have to live off my art, I'd stave, or have to go into something more commercial or teach school or advertising, which I did at one time.

Yes, I remember Myspace, it always gave me spam and loaded slowly. Now it's Facebook.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home