Saturday, November 22, 2014

Old radio and Star Blazers

Listened to some old time radio the other day, I guess in a nostalgic mood.  It's supposed to rain or storm later on today, so if I'm going to run any errands and get out today, it better be early.  At any rate, here's a link for Tom Corbett Space Cadet: http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=42281

It looks like there are 50 episodes available.  They also have some other interesting shows over there, if interested.

Just head over to http://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2792

You can listen online or I assume download them as they are in the public domain. 

The other night I couldn't find anything on TV that I found interesting so I started watching the live action version of  Star Blazers also known as Space Battleship Yamato.  I first heard about Star Blazers from a friend taking about it, and since it was space opera, anime, and SF I was interested.  If these were aired on TV I missed them, and eventually ran into a VHS copy of the first program, and got hooked. 

As I said, it's basically space opera, made into three seasons.  Aliens (the Gamilons)  have attacked earth, and sent everyone underground due to the radiation from bombs.    Earth then receives unexpected help from Queen Starsha of the planet Iscandar, who offers a device called "Cosmo DNA" which will remove the radiation. However, since Iscandar is 148,000 light years away, Starsha also sends plans for the experimental Wave Motion Engine that, when constructed, will aid whoever can travel to Iscandar. On Earth, a crew is recruited, headed by Captain Avatar, and an old sunken battleship, the Yamato. The Yamato is transformed into a spaceship (the Argo), outfitted with the Wave Motion Engine, and sent to Iscandar.

I'd never seen the live action version, but had heard about it.  I think I checked with Netflix, but they didn't have it either.  I finally ran across it on Youtube, and I was expecting something a lot more cheesy, but found it pretty well done.  It has English subtitles, but there's not a lot of dialogue anyway.





2 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

The Blue Beetle? Hadn’t heard of that one. Was his nemesis the Red Roach?

I still haven’t watched Space Battleship Yamato but it looks promising. There is lot of nostalgia across the Pacific for the real Yamato – something akin to the Arizona on this side even though it is inaccessible under 340 meters of water. It was an impressive ship and took a lot to put her down.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Ha, could have been Richard. The character has been around a while and moved from company to company. I first ran into him at DC where he had his own series. Later Alan Moore took the character and reinvented him in Watchmen and created Nite Owl.

Interesting about the real Yamato. The closest I've ever come to a real battleship is the Battleship of Texas in Houston.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home