Friday, October 03, 2014

Just for fun

 When I was a kid growing up one of my favorite pastimes was making models.  I had a friend that lived adjacent to our house, and he built them and got me into them.   I started out making plastic planes and cars, and gradually, when they came out, built some of the Universal monster kits, like Dracula, Wolfman, and so forth.  For some reason, I don't think my mom liked those very much.  She also had a disdain for me reading Mad magazine.  I also, once they came out, built some of the Big Daddy Roth models, and spinoff type models like Rat Fink, the Werid-O models, and so forth.  I don't think she like them either.  When we moved from East Texas to West Texas the models were one of the things that had to go.  I have to hand it to my parents, however, they got rid of them discreetly, and I never knew they were missing until many years later.  And to tell you the truth, by the time we had moved, my interest had switched pretty much to music.  I wish I had kept up with buying a few comics back then as well, but for whatever reason, that wasn't within my area of awareness at the time either.

If you are a comic or more specifically a Superman fan, you should check out the podcast called thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com  They have podcast-a-plenty on the Man of Steel, and can be pretty fun to listen to from time to time.
Here's a quick link, if you are interested. 

2 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I built the Universal models too, along with ships and airplanes. I haven't done it in a long time but I think it still would be fun.

I have an attorney acquaintance who gave up law for model making. He said, "I can be an average lawyer or a museum quality model builder." I see his point. He's gotten paid for the model work -- not as much as he made as an attorney, but happiness counts for something too.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I have a friend too that gave up the law practice, but he went the folk singing, singer/songwriter route. Here's a YT of one of his songs if interested. His name is Jeff Talmadge: http://youtu.be/IxapUuoKgdY

But yeah, I'm all for hobbies and diversions that keep one happy with life. Sounds like your friend is more drawn to the arts as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home