Saturday, September 20, 2014

Wonder Woman






I'm not a huge Wonder Woman fan, I generally gravitated towards darker male super heroes when reading that genre of fiction.  Superman is more about science fiction, Batman more about detective fiction, whereas Wonder Woman is more about feminism and Greek mythology.  But I would generally go to Superman or Batman over Wonder Woman, granted there's a bit more to the characters that that as well.  There's also the weird villains, aliens, gadgets, Batmobile, side kicks, and their ensembled cast around the stories as well.  Along with the stories' plots, the writers that write them, and the artist that draw them, etc.

 I used to find the old Wonder Woman TV series with Lynda Carter pretty cheesy, and still do, but I can occasionally watch an episode when in the right frame of mine.  There's a recent article in the New Yorker magazine on Wonder Woman if you care to read more about her and her creator, William Moulton Marston, a psychologist with a Harvard degree.  I have friends that look at comics with an air of disdain, which doesn't bother me because if you like the medium you run into that ever so often.  I don't know where that comes from actually, perhaps it's because they lend themselves to soap opera convention at times, or maybe it's the super heroics and the spandex costumes--although there's more to comics than just the super hero genre as well.  I don't know.  All I do know, is I enjoy them from time to time, and grew up enjoying them and still do, so that's good enough for me.

At any rate, here's the article from the New Yorker magazine. 

While on the subject of comics, I've been nerding out a bit lately on some of these Youtube videos about comic collecting.  If you enjoy comics that's sort of part and parcel of the hobby: collecting.
I didn't start collecting with the intent that my comics would be worth anything to anybody, mostly it just seemed the thing to do, and if I ever wanted to reread them, I'd have them.  For me, it was mostly about the stories or characters, but I love the art as well, and like to see that.  The whole aspect of the collecting market is another aspect that like most collecting is subjective.  The comic shop down the street from me is the only game in town, more or less, or at least the proprietor thinks so.  We also have a Hastings bookstore/media outlet in town that sells comics, books, magazines, and other things as well as rents videos.  We also have a used book store here that sells a few comics, but most of their stuff is in pretty beat up shape.  But also if you have a credit card you can always go to the internet for comic shopping whether new or old.  Ebay is one of the larger retailer for that, but there's also other venues like Mile High Comics up in Denver, Co. and many other places like that.  

I guess what I'm getting around to saying, is the local comic shop down the street prices their stuff too high because he thinks he's the only game around, but he's not.  Plus like a lot of comic shop owners, he doesn't grade his stuff very well or at all really.  It's all price way to high for the crappy shape that they're in.  He'll have a pretty worn out comic in fair to poor shape, and slap a ten, fifteen or higher dollar price on it, which is ridiculous.  I guess he figures if you're dumb enough to buy it, so be it--plus he's the "only" game in town.  I could be wrong, but I doubt he sells much of it.  What I like about a few of these videos on Youtube concerning these guys and their comic collections though is at least they address that grading system, and you can pick up pointers on what to look for, so I'll give them kudos for that. 

I don't think I've ever bought anything very pricey, or at least if I did, I don't remember it.  Most of the comics I own either I bought and kept as a kid growing up or bought new off the racks back when I got back into the hobby in the mid-80's.  So I don't have very many obscure or hot books, although after watching some of the videos off Youtube (if they are to believed as gospel) some of my books have gone up in price (if you can find a buyer, that's the flipside of that coin--I guess I could always try and sell a few on eBay, however).  At any rate, if interested I'll point you to a few of these comic videos, and there are others that I just haven't had the time to track down and watch yet, but you can find some of the others on YT as well. 

This first guy is only nineteen, so still  pretty young and a bit cocky at times, but collects some nice books. His screen name is SpideyFan78ct.   

This guy, screen name Lightning2288, is a bit older and likes to bullshit a bit along with his videos, but also collects some good books, and pays attention to the condition of the books.  

Here's another I just found, but if you enjoy watching vids like this there are many, you just have to search around on YT, and if you happen to enjoy a certain YT channel, you can subscribe by clicking the little red box below their YT screen name, and track their video post.


2 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I liked the first season of Wonder Woman set in the 1940s. I thought the cheese just worked better that way. Oddly, Lynda Carter says she was happier when the timeline was updated. Some might consider Diana's attachment to father and then son (Lyle Waggoner's characters) a little creepy, but, hey, whatever makes you happy.

I had read of Marston's work with the polygraph (the lasso of truth!) and his polyamory. It's hard to miss the S&M elements -- again, the lasso of truth. To this day the franchise seems to avoid pointing out much of that, though. Despite the outspoken feminism of Marston and his wives, it's hard to make it look entirely PC in 21st century terms.

Comic books are a great hobby. Those who don't appreciate them are missing out -- just as the people who say "I read only nonfiction" are missing out. I don't collect comics, but I do buy them still from time to time -- including Kick-Ass before the movie-- and Scott Pilgrim.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yes, Richard, the first season had me scratching my head when I first watched it. I didn't catch it at the beginning, because it looked like it was set in modern times due to the filming, but I gradually caught on it was the 40's. I kept wondering: What are these pesky Nazis doing here, did they come thru a wormhole or what?

All things tend to update with the times, and Wonder Woman won't be any different if it's ever made into a movie, which doesn't seem very likely. I don't know that Wonder Woman would draw much attention at the box office unless it was an extremely good story.

Marvel has had some huge box office success stories with many of their characters going into film, I don't know why Time Warner/DC doesn't try this as well.

Well, I guess they have with Batman and Superman, but I'd like to see some of their other characters make the leap too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home