Friday, September 12, 2014

TGIF 09/12/14


This is Ian O'Brien (UK), who Guinness World book of records says has the largest Dr. Who collection.  I'm not sure how they screen for such entrees, but I'd say he's collected quite a bit of stuff and leave it at that.  Having a collector mentality myself, I'm always amazed at what someone will collect.  For me it has been music, movie DVDs, books, comics, and that's quite enough, though I've got a few toys, and what have you too.  Yes, it's quite maddening at time, but it's fun too.



Here's another guy, Nick Bennett, that Guinness says has the world's largest James Bond collection.  After seeing these, my collection seems quite tame.   I feel better now.

Last night TCM was showing some Jerry Lewis movies.  I remember Lewis being a part of my youth growing up.  For whatever reason, he has his detractors.  Some of them may come from people in the business that have worked with him and they just didn't get along, but I can't help, but think that a large majority of them are trolls with nothing better to do.  Let's face it, there are a lot of negative people out there.  I certainly worked with my share of a few of them.

Oh, by the way, I noticed here recently that TCM and my cable provider (Suddenlink)  have somehow filtered that channel now from being able to record a program to my VCR.  I wonder if it can't be TIVOed as well?  That's a bummer because like last night, there might be something on I want to see or a marathon of movies, and they come on too late to stay up and watch, so I'll record them on my VCR for later viewing.  Well, now I can't, which is a drag.  I just hope the rest of cable doesn't go that direction.  Still I think TCM is a great channel and all, but dammit, you know?

Anyway, I watched  Jerry Lewis' The Nutty Professor for a bit, which I always thought was one of his best movies.  I think it's better than the remake with Eddie Murphy.  They followed that with a Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin movie, The Caddy (1953).  I don't remember having watched that before. In it,  Martin's character came from an old Italian family and both he and Lewis played golf.  Martin's dad in the film has a store, and they need funds to keep it afloat, so  Lewis (as the caddy) and Martin (as the golfer) team up as there's a golf tournament, which has a nice cash prize for the winner.   

I can see where some might view Lewis playing the dope or clown in some of this earlier movies is a bit much at times, but really I don't see it much different from say, The Marx brothers, or  Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, or Lou and Costello, or any of those early comedians.  In fact, it's not too different some of the characters that Jim Carey has played either.

At any rate, as one might imagine on the golf course, mayhem ensues.  Not everything clicks as being funny in a Jerry Lewis film for me, but I could say that about any comedy.  However, in most of them I'll get a pretty laugh out of some routine or gag.

They followed that one by Three On A Couch (1966), which is one Lewis co-wrote and directed.  It's a bit dated, but still had a few funny skits.  It involves Janet Leigh as Lewis' girlfriend, and she's a psychiatrist that has three patients.  Lewis wants to get marry Leigh, and move to Paris, but Leigh can't leave her patients high and dry as they are still in need of counseling.  I'll admit it's a bit corny in parts, but again there's a few laughs there as well.  Lewis also plays various roles in the film, which he's done before in some of this other movies.  He figures out a plan to lure each of the gals' (on the couch) into a relationship with him as their boyfriend, thereby getting them on the road to recovery. Of course the plan hits a brick wall at the end.  Like most of his films, they are pretty much light weight fare and  family friendly. If you're in the mood for something like that, they can be a lot of fun.

The third film they showed was The Bigmouth (1967).  I had not seen it either, but it was getting late and had to turn in.  I was curious about it however, but will have to try and catch it later of TCM or perhaps rent a copy.


The above video is from a SF series, Planet Five, which I'd never heard of before.  I find the music amusing, and it could be a fun thing to watch if a bit corny.  


3 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Making allowance for his wish to make his movies family-friendly (which limited him and upped the goofy factor), Jerry Lewis acted in and directed some very good movies. He is funny as the “Delicate Delinquent” (1957) and he is good as the veteran comic in Funny Bones (1995). “The Nutty Professor” (1963), written and directed by himself, is a comedy classic. He also made real stinkers, such as “Way…Way Out” (1966) and the almost unspeakable “Slapstick of another Kind” (1982). You have to take him one movie at a time. I don’t care for the bulk of his films, but then I don’t care for the bulk of Jim Carrey films either (your comparison is apt), so that has more to do with personal preferences in styles of humor than anything else. On the other hand I liked the also goofy Abbott and Costello – the 1940s films anyway. By the 1950s, A&C movies had lost something.

I have a sizable folder of signed photos by B actresses (plus a few A-, including Stella Stevens since we’re mentioning “The Nutty Professor,” and a handful of male actors) which I suppose counts as a collection, though it wasn’t assembled intentionally. I just snared a few here and at Chiller Theater conventions and the like. Over the years they added up.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I understand what you mean about Lewis' films are hit and miss, and I'd agree--sometimes all in the same movie ie. I can enjoy some parts of his films, but maybe not the whole thing. I'd also recommend The King of Comedy though he just acted in it. It has a creepy undertone to it, but worth a watch. The Geisha Boy is pretty good too. Sadly a lot of his movies are hard to find or deleted.

One of the things about a lot of his films (and I don't know how much he had to do with it), but they used nice art design or direction in them. There are many things in his films I'm curious about. One is that he appeared in a lot of them with these light blue slacks, and I wondered if there was any reason to that, sort of part of his public persona?

I just started reading a book called King of Comedy by Shawn Levy on Lewis, hopefully he'll shed more light on his subject. I know Lewis was smart in that he invented many things that was used in the movie industry like monitors etc. I also remember his charities and marathons for children that he would do annually for many years, until his health got bad.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Chiller Theater would have been cool to attend one of those cons. I love stuff like that, and it's hard to beat Stella Stevens. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home