Friday, August 29, 2014

The 60's, the Beatles

Being a Beatles fan, I like most things about the Beatles.  I ran into this documentary on the band made from the perspective of the BBC, which had a little bit of a different take on the decade and band from the American invasion of the band.  Of course, expect some overlap, but I thought it was interesting enough to share.  This is just the first part, you'll have to go to Youtube for the other parts if interested.


Lately, I've gotten on a Moody Blues kick.  I love the band at times.  Music depends a lot on my mood  (no pun intended), but they are one of the bands I can always go back to, and enjoy listening to over and over again.  Oddly the Moody Blues started out as a rhythm and blues act, coming together in Birmingham, England in 1964.  I don't have their first album, which contained their first hit song, Go Now, a Bessie Banks hit, but I have a 45 rpm of it.




In Search of the Lost Chord was the first album by them that I picked up.  Of course, I was aware of their radio hits off their Days of Future Passed album, like Tuesday Afternoon, and Knights in White Satin.  But probably due to the album cover art alone, I picked up this album first.  I was won over by their sound.  Their songs sort of had this Sci-Fi-fantasy and mystical imagery in them.  Plus all of the songs were written pretty well, had nice harmonies, and flowed in a conceptual manner.  And then, they were also one of those early bands to include mellotron in their sound, and I enjoyed their flute passages as well.  As I remember, Ride My Seesaw was also a radio hit back in the day.





Their third album, On The Threshold of a Dream, may be my favorite album by them, though I enjoy all of their first five or six  albums pretty equally.   This album continued the progression of their previous albums, in that there was a concept to the album. It starts off in a mysterious vein with sort of ominous music like being in a void or dream, and you get the feeling that the concept of the album is about man versus machine or Big Brother.  Also it toys with the ideas of dreams.  Is the dream a real world, or the real world a dream?  Again this album featured lush string arrangements,  mystical and philosophical lyrics, good harmonies, and nice production techniques by Tony Clark, sometimes known as the sixth Moody.

I eventually went back and bought Days Of Future Passed, and then also got the rest of their six albums, along with a greatest hits album.  They're all pretty good too. 

This is a documentary I watched on Youtube the other night on the band, it's pretty interesting and insightful.















2 Comments:

At 6:04 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I actually never bought a Moody Blues album back in the day, though not because I disliked them. They were part of the general air of the time, often on the radio or emanating from a neighboring dorm room. The Beatles, of course, were too central to the decade not to have on one's record shelf.

I have a 22-y.o. quasi-niece (long story) who stays at my house much of the time. What surprises me about what comes out of the iPods belonging to her and her friends is how much of it is dinosaur rock – the same stuff I played new in the 60s, 70s, and 80s (e.g. the Doors, AC/DC, and Joan Jett, respectively by decade). This has been true since they were in high school. It’s as if in college I cranked up Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller. (I do that now, sometimes, but not then.) I don’t really have an explanation. Well, perhaps she is equally surprised that more recent sounds (e.g. Metric, Theory of a Deadman) turn up in my stereo’s cd tray – but not surprised at the old-fashioned cd format.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Well, it's good to know that the younger generation isn't all listening to hiphop or American Idol stuff, which is a good thing, imo.

Yes, I didn't listen to any Goodman, or Glen Miller either, although I know my parent's enjoyed their music, and they had their own records.

We'd watch variety shows growing up like Andy Williams and such, Glen Campbell, Smothers Brothers, etc. and there would be a lot of musical acts on their shows as well. I still enjoy Andy Williams, particularly around Christmas.

I like Herb Albert & Tijuana Brass and got an albums by them one Christmas, the Carpenters, and well, I guess you could say, my parents were pretty good about letting us explore whatever type music we wanted to. I think my Mom enjoyed listening to some of the things we'd pick up too. She was fond of the Beatles.

Oddly now I can get into some of the older songwriters and big bands stuff now too: Duke Ellington, and so forth. I guess I'm just up for music, makes me happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home