Friday, August 15, 2014

Podcast on Bava and Planet of the Vampires


I need to get up and out the door, times awastin'.  Guess I always say that or feel that way.  I thought I'd make a short posting on Bava and this recent podcast I just listened to this morning, which came from the guys over at The Projection Booth.   On their show they had Troy Howarth, who had written a book about Mario Bava, The Haunted World of Mario Bava, and  who seemed well versed in Italian films, giallo, among other films.  His insights were quite informative.  It was a fun podcast to listen to if you are so inclined and have the time.   You can find the link:  here. 


Speaking of films, I watched Godzilla 2000 the other night over at Hulu.  It was a lot of fun as I hadn't seen any Godzilla films in a while.  I have yet to see the newest installment either, but I will as soon as it becomes available on DVD.  If you don't mind watching movies online, Hulu has some of the other Godzilla films up for free viewing as well from the franchise.  Godzilla 2000, like a lot of the other films in the Big G series, is not to be taken too seriously.  What I did enjoy about it was seeing some of the more modernized cityscape scenes of Japan.  The effects were more updated as well.  After that I was ready for more Godzilla, and even though I've read some fairly mixed reviews of the new movie, though I haven't read them too closely so not to spoil anything the movie might offer, I'm still looking forward to seeing it.


By the way speaking of giant kaiju and big monsters, I read online that Pacific Rim 2 has been given the green light, and I'm already looking forward to it.  Universal Studio has officially announced that the second installment of the movie has been scheduled to premiere on 17th April 2017.  I'm already happy and excited about that.   Here's a link to read more about it, if interested.


6 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

If one expects nothing more than rampaging monsters, the new Godzilla delivers them with state of the art fx. I was expecting something more, perhaps unfairly, but I don't want to try to dissuade you from giving it a shot.

I remember Planet of the Vampires. I'll have to give the podcast a listen.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Sometimes rampaging monsters is fine Richard, it just depends upon my mood I guess. :) Really most of the previous Godzilla franchise is pretty cheesy, and that's fine too if you're not expecting anything other than what it is.

A lot of people enjoyed Cloverfield, which at the time was rather meh, for me. I haven't given it a re-watch lately, I mostly hate the shaky camera technique employed in many of the newer films,as used in Blair Witch. Although I enjoyed the Blair Witch movie. I did enjoy The Host, however, and look forward to that director's newer film, Snowpiercer.

Yes, I thought the podcast was rather interesting and the guy they interviewed (that wrote the recent book on Bava & his films was interesting to hear).

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

Well that's great news about "Pacific Rim 2". I really enjoyed the first film. It was just a blast of fun from beginning to end. I'm curious about the new "Godzilla" film. It really got mixed reviews from folks I trust (that includes Richard here).

I've only seen a few Bava films. The best one I've seen is the gothic horror "Black Sunday". A wild ride of a film and surprisingly gory for a film made in 1960. On the opposite end was the bizarre and sometimes funny (but not on purpose) "House of Exorcism". It's an re-edited version of his film "Lisa and the Devil" which was a bit better, but still kinda out there.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

The podcast was interesting to listen to Roman, in that the guy they interviewed had written a book about Bava, so knew his stuff on the director. I think Planet of the Vampire is one of my favorites due to the odd story and the way it's lit and art direction.

I thought Black Sunday was good too, very atmospheric. I just picked up Pacific Rim the other day, and look forward to re-watching it at home. Yeah, I hope there's a sequel to Godzilla and glad to hear about Pacific Rim too.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Mike White said...

Thanks for the shout out to The Projection Booth!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Mike, no problem. Keep up the good work on the podcast. The Bava one was fun to hear!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home