Thursday, July 24, 2014

Moebius






I don't exactly remember when I first discovered the art of Moebius, also known as Gir, or his real name, Jean Giraud.  I suspect it was around the mid-eighties when I started getting back into comics for a second time.  It was a very enjoyable time as I remember it as comics were experiencing a new renaissance.   Comic shops were springing up totally devoted to comic fans, that also had related SF stuff, fanzines, anime, and other things. 

The independent comic scene was also gaining headway.  The black and white indie comic, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, had come out a brief time before I had begun looking at comics again, but I think it was on its fourth or fifth issue.  Other similar comics that had a little bit more adult sensibilities had came out as well, like Cerebus,  Grim Jack, Scout, Miracle Man, and others that were being created, which just made collecting and reading a pleasure. 

I think I first ran into Moebius from having attended a small local mini-convention that was held over in Midland, Tx at a Holiday Inn at the time.  Though smaller and localized, the dealer's room had quite a bit of stuff in it.  I was amazed as I stepped through the doorway, I felt as if I had entered some new dimension.  I was certainly among fans of the same sort of genre I enjoyed.  Several dealers were there some as far away of Lubbock and further, as I recall.  There was a guy that had some Epic Illustrated magazines, which were published by Marvel comics, and I picked up a handful of those, impressed by the art in them and by just perusing some of the stories.  Epic Illustrated, I think, was trying to capitalize off some of the fame of Heavy Metal.  Both magazines were the same in scope, both were larger in size compared to the typical comic book, had better printing, and were anthologies, containing several stories in them, some self-contained, whereas others had a continuing story arc (so you had to pick up next month's or several monthly issues to finish a storyline).  

Well, I'm thinking I ran into my first Moebius in the Epic magazines.   I'm thinking these were just  reprints from Heavy Metal (without having to go look thru some of my back issue boxes).  At any rate, that little experience more or less whet my appetite, and I was back into comics and fandom in general.

I think the next Moebius I ran into was his segment from the animated movie,  Heavy Metal.  His artwork is magical and highly detailed--his vision is strong and original.  It's no wonder he wasn't sought out for film designs like Blade Runner and Tron, among others, illustrations, and for his graphic storytelling.  Last night I watched a BBC biography on Moebius, and it also has interviews with other notable artist and creators like Dan O'Bannon, Enki Bilal, Philippe Druillet, and others. It streams well, and was pretty fun to watch.




2 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

I'm mostly familiar with him from his design work on films. He has a wonderful imagination and a real sense of flow to his concepts. His work with Syd Mead on "Tron" is really amazing.

The "Heavy Metal" film is one of those flicks that I love, but has some serious flaws. But his designs are one of those flaws.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

I agree Roman on Heavy Metal, the Moebius section, which irrc is the opening and first tale is the best of the bunch. But I also agree it is sort of an uneven, and now, seems a bit dated. I still can sit and watch it from time to time.

The Fifth Element seems to be the film where his influence to me was felt the most, and again, it's a bit uneven. I think should have reigned in the Chris Tucker's character some, though he's pretty funny. Still I can watch it from time to time too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home