Sunday, July 13, 2014

Jack Reacher and comics

Got a bad case of laziness today.  Probably because I didn't sleep all that well last night, which is odd as I slept like a log the night before.  You never know.  It's Sunday and I'm currently watching Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, and it's okay, it has some nice action sequences, but for some reason, this series of films never really clicked with me and feels more like a Tom Cruise vehicle, or maybe it's just that I was never that great a fan of the original franchise.  I'm really waiting on The Strain, the new Guillermo del Toro horror series, that will premier on the FX Channel tonight.



Last night I watched Jack Reacher, which comes from a series of books about the character by Lee Child.  Tom Cruise was much better in that role for me anyway.   Jack Reacher is sort of a loner guy, a drifter, who gets tired of the military and its structure and drifts around the country.  In the movie he gets drawn into a mystery concerning a guy he knew in the military, and really didn't even like.  So from the get-go, he really could care less whether the guy goes to jail, death row, or what happens to him.  But I thought the movie had a unique way to draw both Reacher and the film audience into the film at the same time as the mystery unfolds.  There's some odd chemistry too between him and the female DA that's trying to prove her client's innocence.  All in all, I enjoyed the film, and maybe they'll make a sequel to this, I'd be up for that.

I ran across the site called Comicbookplus.com.  It has domain free comics and either you can download them or just read them online at the site.  It has some pretty interesting older comics on it if interested.  


4 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Lee Childs is not on my list of novelists whom I regularly read, but by pure coincidence the one novel in his Jack Reacher series that I did read several years ago was "One Shot." Just by the odds, I assumed the "Jack Reacher" movie would be based on another one (there are 18 so far). But no, "One Shot" was the one adapted for the movie.

I liked the movie too. Even though Tom Cruise does not fit the description of Jack Reacher in looks or manner, he made the part his own. It worked.

For some reason I never was motivated to watch the Mission Impossible flicks. One can't read or watch everything.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Richard, re: One can't read or watch everything--ain't that the truth. It's hard to keep up on top of things at times when it comes to pop culture. There's just not enough time in the day. I've not read any of the Reacher books, but from the movie it seemed like something I'd enjoy. I certainly go for a sequel too.

It did seem like that was one of the main complaints about Cruise in that he wasn't as tall as the character in the books, but hey, he can't do anything about that. I thought he played the role well, and it was a fun action film. Glad you enjoy it too.

I wondered if you'd seen the movie Haywire? It's a spy action film as well wherein it has a female protagonist. I enjoyed it too.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

I ended up reviewing all the "Mission: Impossible" films last year and I admit I had a good time with them. Yeah, I think they are pretty much star vehicles for Mr. Cruise. So if you have a low tolerance for him (like my wife does) they might not click.

My favorites are the first and the fourth one. The first is a nice twisty plot and some great direction by DePalma. It really plays out more like a suspense thriller than an action film, and that was kinda rare back in 96. "Ghost Protocol" was a lot of fun, and I really like the sense of humor it injected back into the series. While Part III was good, it was really damn serious. "Ghost Protocol" had some very amusing moments in it.

I've heard good things about "Haywire", and that director makes pretty entertaining films. I need to check that one out. Thanks for reminding me.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Roman, one of the things about discussing films with others is that you can sense things through their eyes, which at times, makes you want to rewatch and re-evaluate your previous opinion of the films.

Someone might bring up something in it that you overlooked, or pick up on some other aspect to a film that flew by you, but by their enjoyment you might want to check it out again. I might have to do that with the MI series.

Another thing I've been meaning to revisit and with some I need to watch for a first time, are some of the 007 Bond series. In fact, I don't think I ever saw the third Jason Bourne film, which I need to do as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home