Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Redemption

Here's an article I ran across recently on nine programs that the SyFy Channel is thinking about producing to revamp their programming and compete with other networks by having well-scripted programs.  Why it has taken them this long to reach that conclusion and why they have let their network slide in recent years by showing  half-attempted shows like Sharktopus and similar Z-styled programming is beyond me.  Maybe they finally figured that their network has slipped so far off the scale that nobody wants to advertise with them any longer or that a change is needed or just throw in the towel.  Yep, I'm being a bit harsh here, but really their programming has hit such an all-time low lately, the only way from here is up  (hopefully). 

Granted I do still watch FaceOff and enjoyed the Jim Henson Creature Shop reality based shows, but I don't know how long they could sustain something like that.  So we'll see what they can come up with in the future.  Here's a link to that article, at least the shows mentioned sound like they have potential, at least on paper.  Getting them in production, etc. is another thing.  Link to article.

2 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I wish them well. The Battlestar Galactica reboot a decade ago was the high point to date. Ascension is reminiscient of Heinlein's Orphans in the Sky.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Richard--I hope they can pull off one or two of these ideas. It seems totally possible. After all, Blake's 7, Dr. Who, UFO, and others are low budget, high concept ideas that worked.

I wasn't a huge fan of the rebooted Battlestar, though I know others enjoyed it. I wasn't that much a fan of the earlier series either, but at some point came around and bought the DVD set. I wish the SF Channel would re-broadcast those newer ep. though just so I could test the waters again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home