Sunday, May 25, 2014

6 X 6 Show




Sitting here listening to some Stanley Jordan, his Magic Touch CD.  It's light and airy and pretty perfect for a Sunday afternoon.  It's one of those CDs where I could put on and listen to again right after it ends pretty easily.  He sort of has a style like Joe Pass, who I like a lot as well. 

I've added the artwork I took down to Gallery 110's 6 X 6 show this week.  I scrutinize my own art, and I guess that's a good thing.  Sometimes I'm satisfied with it, and other times I'm indifferent or wish it had turned out differently.  The first one, the landscape I titled, Dreamland.  I did it mostly as a "crowd pleaser" or as close as I can achieve something like that, meaning I was hoping to appeal to a wider audience and maybe get someone to buy it.  None of the sales go back to the artist anyway, it's a fundraiser for the gallery, so for the artist's part, it's all for charity anyway.  For me, I get to sharpen my chops a bit, and it get my mind thinking about art again, which has been fun to do. Also it gets me to network with other artist and schmooze, which is always fun too. 

The way the show is set up is that all the art on displayed is $20. a pop.  The audience is asked not to touch or turn over the painting to reveal the artist's name (sort of anonymity).  That way the audience or patrons learn what they like in art, and buy art totally for the image.  It's a novel idea, and I like the concept, although, I'm not sure I buy into the anonymity thing.  I wouldn't know the artist by name anyway, so it makes no difference to me.  I remember going to this show a year or so ago, and not knowing "the rules" of the show, turned over a few of the paintings just to see what medium it was painted in (oil, acrylic, etc.) and maybe to read the title, and a gal monitoring the show came up to me and said something like, "Don't do that."  She didn't announce or explain who she was or anything.  I asked her, "What do you mean?"  She said, "You are just supposed to take it up to the front and buy it."  Which again seemed out of context, and made no sense at all to me.  She walked off, and I just stood there and thought, what the hell was that about??   

The second piece, the yellow one, is an image I took from an old Twilight Zone episode.  I grew up on those and the old Outer Limits episodes. If you haven't seen that particular episodes check it out, it's one of my favorite ones, where a young woman is having major facial surgery as she is viewed as a mutant or outcast due to her disfigurement.  The way the whole episode is shot never showing the woman's face or the doctor's either, and the lighting is particularly effective.  I won't give away the plot twist or spoilers, but check it out.  I call the piece, Beauty Is In the Mind.

Recently I have thought about just painting monsters and maleficent menaces from SF films and such as imagery in different styles just to see what I can come up with.  I know it probably has a limited audience, but I'm not really doing this to make money, I'm doing it more as a way to paint more and express myself.  Some might find it weird subject matter to explore, but I feel it's a part of me, as I was raised on such pop cultural icons.

The third painting with the red crabs in it I took from the poster of Attack of the Crab Monsters or some such 50's SF film.  I haven't seen the film, I assume it's typical for the 50's decade.  I  mostly did it on paper and with just some left over paints when I was in the middle of the other paintings.  You sort of have stopping points in doing artwork (just to let the paint dry, or lunch breaks, etc.), and I hated to not use the leftover paint, so I composed that crab painting.  I went back and painted in some of it, and it looks a bit more finished out, but I sort of wanted a loose feel to it anyway.

The fourth painting is called Zira, and is the female ape from Planet of the Apes.  I'm indifferent to it as well, but I got close to the target.  Again, it's a bit rough and loose around the edges, but that doesn't bother me.  I have no idea how other perceive this stuff, but as I said, I'm mostly trying to find something to engage me, and if someone else can appreciate it, well all the better. 

Rather hurried week otherwise.  I found that part of my sprinkler system is leaking, and called to get it fixed, but they won't be able to get over here until Tuesday.  I hate that the leak has to go unattended until then, but I guess that's life. If I can find someone to come over on Monday I might try to get someone sooner.  I ended up joining Angie's List, just because I don't know anyone here really to ask about such handyman things, and I'm not that great at such stuff.  I can do some of it, but I have a narrow range.  I also had a water heater put in recently, and used Angie's List for it as well.  So far it's been worthwhile for the subscription.

I watched a movie directed by Peter Weir the other night called The Year Of Living Dangerously, and it was pretty good, along with another one by him called, The Plumber.  It was pretty good too.  It's Sunday, so I should get up and see if I can't knock out a chore to two. 

2 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I'm glad you are giving your stuff some exposure. I like the image from the Twilight Zone especially. It was a good episode, too. I saw most of them during their first broadcast, and have seen all of them multiple times since. The Outer Limits was lots of fun, too -- cheap fx but good writing in most cases.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Thanks Richard--It's always hard for me figure out whether something might work or not, which is why I generally don't think that way. I'd prefer just to do something that I'm interested in and not worry about the results. I know though that only a fringe is going to relate to some of my stuff, but that's okay too. I figure if at least I can get someone to stop and pause for a second to look at a work, then I feel vindicated. Actually that one was my favorite one of the bunch too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home