Tuesday, April 29, 2014

R Crumb

I ran across the video off Youtube about underground cartoonist Robert Crumb.  If you've seen the first film, Crumb by Terry Zwigoff, this makes a nice addition to that one, although they cover much of the same territory.  I have the Crumb film on the standard DVD release only, and I know that Criterion has released it as well.  It may be on Blu-ray as well, I don't have that format either.  Either way, some might want to check this out if you've not seen it before. 

2 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

I became aware of Robert Crumb in 1968 from the cover art to the Janis Joplin album “Cheap Thrills.” It’s hard to think of that era without at least some of his images coming to mind – along with the Grateful Dead singing Truckin’. I also rather liked Ralph Bakshi’s movie adaptation of Fritz the Cat – a very unpleasant flick, but very much a portrait of the time – though apparently Crumb did not: Fritz was murdered by his girlfriend in a Crumb comic shortly afterward. That is one way to limit sequels.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Richard, I've never seen Fritz the Cat. That one passed me by, and now I don't know if I have the patience to watch it due to (I'm guessing) its dated appeal. Like you, however, it may have been the Cheap Thrills album cover that makes me think of Crumb, that and that Keep on Trucking drawing with the three guys walking in sync. My brother had some old Zap comics as well, but those were so experimentally and stoney that I didn't know what to make of them.

I met Crumb at one of the Dallas Comic Cons and he sort of smashed my ideal of him as he was so jaded in some ways. Perhaps he's in a better frame of mind now that he's living in France.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home