Thursday, April 03, 2014

Dr. Strange

        

The other night I caught Dr. Strange, a  Marvel, made-for-TV movie. It was supposedly a pilot for a proposed series.  Too bad it never made it.   I somehow missed it back in the day when it first aired, but had I have tuned into it I'm sure I would have thought it was the greatest thing since canned Spam.  It's actually pretty  fun to watch.  I was surprised that Jessica Walter that played the crazy woman in the film, Play Misty For Me, with Clint Eastwood starred as one of the villains. 

3 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Another pilot/movie I had forgotten all about. There was a spate of comic book inspired shows at the time: The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman, Shazam!,The Amazing Spider-Man etc. Not all of them got a footing. Now that comic book adaptations are back in style, this character seems ripe for another screen appearance.

My favorite of the era? The first two seasons of Wonder Woman set in the 1940s. Lynda Carter -- that's my explanation.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Richard, I agree. I've thought there are enough horror fans that a Dr. Strange movie seems like a given, same for Werewolf at Night maybe. I thought for an old movie the Dr. Strange TV movie held up pretty well, too bad it's not a better copy, but probably came off someone's old VHS.

We get Wonder Woman here on Saturday nights & at first it seemed real cheesy (and still does), but I've come to appreciate it. I didn't know what to make of it at first, but soon caught on with the Nazi bad guys that it must be from that era, although the initial look to it threw me off some as it looks a bit more modern.

Can't blame you for Lynda Carter, good enough explanation for me, and also has a young Debra Winger.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Richard Bellush said...

Maintaining the 40s setting was expensive, so they had her leave and then return in the 1970s -- apparently Amazon princesses don't age much. Lynda actually liked the later episodes better, but I thought they lost something. I remember the Debra Winger episode.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home