Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Hey Kids, Comics! rant

I still have an interest in comics after all these years.  However, I can't afford (or chose not to) buy them like I used to.  I think they're over priced and wonder at times if the comic industry will continue to thrive and survive in the future, particularly as the cost of living goes up and eventually, comics will want to go up in their respective prices as well.  It's no wonder the amount of readers has dwindled. 

I've always been a bargain hunter.  I think this was something that was passed down to me from my parents.  Their generation came out of WWII and the depression, so with that outlook, they held pretty close to the ideas of saving,  buying in bulk, shopping for a bargain, and actually doing without and just buying the necessities.  As kids we always had our share of toys for birthdays and Christmas, but it wasn't, I don't think extravagant.  I do remember getting a train set, and car racing set for Christmas, and of course, my official first Schwinn bicycle that had a sounding horn on the middle of the tank.  I put many miles on that bike and rode it all over the place.  I'm surprised at times where I went with it.  Comics were always there too.  We had a toy closet, and a box on the bottom that held the comics.  We had all kinds from funny animal to Superman and Sci-Fi  to war stories and others.  But getting back to price, you can buy a used book these days for around two bucks, sometimes cheaper in larger towns or book sales.  It takes me longer to read a book, whereas a comic takes me around fifteen minutes to read.  It hardly seems justifiable when compared to price. 

The same can be said of movies/DVDs and gaming.  A DVD might take a hour and a half to watch, and also you can rewatch them, and a game can take up to a month or longer to complete, compare that with the price of a comic or the cost of say, five comics at three bucks a comic--I guess, what I'm saying is it all adds up, and I guess it's just a matter of what you want to spend your time and money on.

Back to bargain shopping--I haunt used book stores, pawn shops for movies (generally I can find them for $2. each or so).  You can barely  find a comic these days for $2.  I have a local comic shop just down the street from me, which I have to admit, is a very nice shop, stocked extremely well for the area, but I don't think he sells much to be honest.  I think he makes most of his money off catering to the D & D gaming crowd.  And he's one of those guys that marks last months comics up a buck or two if he thinks it's "hot" for some reason, which is such a crock.  No modern comic is ever "hot".  That's laughable.  In fact when I'd gotten back into the hobby in the mid-80's there was that perception along with baseball cards that there was this over hyped "collectors" market out there.  Granted there was to a small degree, but I think most of that was hype, and indeed, the market crashed like a lead balloon, and really most comics are worth diddly-do, except for very rare Golden or Silver Age comics.  It's a joke.

So why in the hell, the comic shop down the street for me increases the price of some "hot" comic he perceives as having demand is beyond me. If indeed it's "hot", it will get collected in a graphic format, and that will be the end of that.  Plus, you'd think he would realize, I got all this stuff lining the walls of my shop not selling, raising the price on a book ain't gonna help matters any.   Just sayin'.

At any rate, since I still enjoy comics from time to time.  I just hate to see them go the way of the dodo.  Also while on the topic, I ran across a site on comic fandom, called Hey Kids, Comics!  At the end of last year, when everyone was putting up their Best Of list, I saw where the same blogger and writer, Rob Kelly, had completed his book .   It's stories about people sharing how comics had changed their life.  I haven't picked up a copy yet, but still plan on doing so.  It's just one of those books that appeals to my nostalgia. 

2 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Anonymous johnson said...

Hi
I read your post and it contains very useful information. Thanks for this useful article.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Thanks for dropping by Johnson, glad you enjoyed it and found it informative. I'm still a big comic fan, although I don't buy as much as I once did. Still the whole fandom aspects of the hobby I find interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home