Thursday, February 06, 2014

Cosmos Trek

 photo 42ff7a2ab6ef83c8fb3a3c7514fda1bc.jpg

Cold here today as to be expected for winter I suppose, and Dallas even got a sprinkling of snow.  That means I'm staying inside my little cubbyhole though I've still got plenty to do inside.  I ran across a pretty interesting article from Ron Moore who said it's about time for another Star Trek series for television.  I'd agree.  Ron Moore is writer for the current Helix series on the SyFy Channel, but has also penned and produced Next Gen, Deep Space Nine, and so forth.  I guess if you're a Trekkie you probably have your own ideas of what you'd like to see for a new series.  For me, I've liked the new movie reboots, with early versions of the original crew, while others didn't care for those movies.  Heck the last one, Star Trek: Into Darkness, I enjoyed a lot.  I'll probably pick up a copy on DVD one of these days. It seems these days there's always going to be a give and take, and different opinions.  If you'll read below the Ron Moore article, however, some of the comments have pretty diverse opinions, some pretty interesting.  I'd just be game for the new series, wherever they take it.

  photo bf083f1599cd86238f99f936e9753e63.jpg

Still been on a Carl Sagan binge.  Don't know what brought that on.  I remember seeing at least part of Cosmos back in the day, so I've been re-watching that series.  Some of it you can find on Youtube, but there are large chunks of it missing, so I've been getting those on the physical disc plan from Netflix. Hard to believe back when Cosmos first aired there wasn't a world wide web, it's amazing how quickly that became an integral part of our lives.  Last night though I saw a late 80's broadcast on Youtube with a conversation between Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, and Arthur C. Clarke on an older talk show, I'm guessing from the BBC.  It was a short thirty minute program, but interesting to see those three together.

   photo fabe0dfb889d4fb0f22c4530f946be9b.jpg

I also caught the first episode of  The Starlost over the weekend.  They have, from what I can tell at a glance, the full series up at YT.  It was written by Harlan Ellison, but credited to his pen name, Cordwainer Bird. It's a pen name that Ellison has assigned to works of his that, well, he wishes to give "the bird" to or feels that the powers that be mangled his story.  A long time ago a friend (hey Drew) had given me a copy of the original book Ellison had written and in the introduction he wrote about the whole sordid ordeal, and how Hollywood had screwed up his project, and how badly it turned out.  I think Mr. Ellison is one of those authors, however, that has a hard time letting go of his stories once he signs the okay for an adaptation to the screen.  It's been a while since I've read the original story, but from what I could tell, the televised story goes along pretty closely to the book.  Granted it's somewhat dated, and low budget, but a pretty interesting concept, none the less. 




2 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger The Sci-Fi Fanatic said...

So what do you think of Helix? I like it.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I watched three or four episodes, and I'm done. I figured it would either try to be like 28 Days, or some sort of The Thing takeoff. It looks like it's going for 28 Days. SFF, it takes quite a bit to hook me on TV. I don't care for any of the characters and the dialogue bores me, but if you enjoy it, have fun.

If you want to read a good book on the real goings on inside the CDC, check out The Hot Zone: http://el-vox.blogspot.com/search?q=the+hot+zone It's a pot boiler.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home