Monday, October 14, 2013

Rainy day sequel

What do Star Wars, Terminator, Jurassic World, Fantastic Four, and James Bond have in common?  Well, they are all fiction, but aside from that they are slated feature films for 2015.  After the last Terminator sequel, I'd think this next sequel would have to be a better movie, I could say the same thing  for the previous Fantastic Four movies.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that Jurassic World will be worthwhile, and  since Spielberg is on the project, I think it's in good hands.  With Star Wars, it's hard to guess.  I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best.  Since this will be Disney's first venture with the franchise, I'd think they'd want to come out with a strong movie so that they can create many more blockbuster sequels.  I'll hope for the best there too.  I enjoy a good space opera and always celebrate a new Star Wars movie, whether or not they always hit their mark.  You can read about them here.   2015 already sounds like a good year for the genre lover.  I'm already looking forward to it.

This past weekend I watched some of the Texas vs.OU game, they played at the Cotton Bowl.  I caught some cool TV as well.  I have not been a big fan of Matt Smith's version of Dr. Who.  I've tried to watch some of those seasons, but they just were too goofy or over-the-top for my taste.  I couldn't make it through the episodes. I'd get bored or disgusted and switch channels, which bummed me out.   I don't blame Smith particularly, actually his depiction of the doctor is fine and fits the eccentric and absent minded professor role pretty well.  I think his portrayal of the doctor reminds me a bit of the Patrick Troughton era.  I think it has more to do with the writers from Smith's tenure, and also probably the the producers and directors, Steven Moffat, and who knows who else that controls the franchise.  I really didn't care much for his companion Amy Pond either or that whole River Song character, and it seemed that the storylines would crossover or continue into other episodes, so it was hard to jump on board if you were not that familiar with the stories that had transpired before.  I always felt like I was missing something, they were confusing, too manic, and not to my taste.

That suddenly changed, however, with his newest companion, Clara.  I've seen the past two episodes that aired recently and I wish they had been doing this all along.  Clara is a breath of sunshine adding just the right tone, and the two stories I've seen were fun too.  The one they showed this weekend was called Cold War, and found the Tardis landing inside a submarine in the year 1983.  The Russian crew of the sub have on board a large block of ice that when thawed out turns out to be a Ice Warrior (that part of the story reminded me of The Thing) .  He is not happy either.  The episode reminded me of something akin to Jules Verne perhaps it was the submarine, and at the same time I had that Thomas Dolby song in my mind while watching it--She Blinded Me With Science.  I hope they keep Clara around when this newer doctor begins his run with the series.

Sunday I did some chores, while I watched some TV here and there.  Mostly I wanted to get my chores done because later that night was the first airing of the new season to The Walking Dead.  They were following it with the Talking Dead recap thing, and then later they had the first episode to Kevin Smith's Comic Book Men.  I enjoyed all three of them.  Comic Book Men had an appearance by Lou Ferrigno from The Incredible  Hulk show on it.  Fun stuff.

Also this week, on Tuesday, I've seen an ad from PBS about a program on super heroes.  I suspect it will be a rehash similar to all the other super hero specials, which is to say, I'm not expecting anything particularly new or outstanding, but I'll tune in just the same. 

2 Comments:

At 6:47 AM, Blogger The Sci-Fi Fanatic said...

I haven't had much chance to write, but boy do I know what you mean regarding Doctor Who.

I am very optimistic about the new Doctor.

But I think your assessments are spot on.
sff

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Gordon--I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've always enjoyed Dr. Who in the past, and just wondered if I'd grown out of the series or what? I'm glad that these newer episodes with Clara have sat so well with me as it renews my interest in seeing newer stories. I hope this new season offers something interesting for Whovians young and old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home