Thursday, October 03, 2013

10 Rillinton Place (1971) Horror film

October is here, and that means cooler temperatures, Halloween, and horror movies. 10 Rillington Place is a very creepy docu-drama about the English serial killer John Christie.  I'm guessing that the film is unavailable and out of print as I couldn't find a copy of it to rent on Netflix--Saved status only.

Middle-aged, married Christie lures unsuspecting young women into his home under the pretense of offering medical assistance, renders them unconscious with carbon monoxide gas, gets aroused by their limpid flesh, then strangles and buries them in his backyard. He takes a young, but desperately poor couple in as lodgers.  The wife is pregnant, but he persuades the husband, John Hurt,  into letting  him perform an abortion on his wife and then attempts to pin the resultant homicide on him. John Hurt is fantastic as the illiterate boob of a hubby, Richard Attenborough is truly frightening as the unassuming killer and Fleischer manages to capture that stale, decrepit and palpable feeling of rot at the center of the story without ever going for obvious effects.

You can stream a fairly decent copy of it here, although I had a bit of trouble with it pausing here and there.

On Youtube there's also a documentary about the incident:  here.  



3 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger The Sci-Fi Fanatic said...

I have to tell you my friend, you uncover some interesting gems. Thanks for another unexpected and terrific post.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Thanks SFF for dropping by. I never know what I'm going to write about when the mood strikes. I'm told I'm a bit stream of conscience at times, ha, but I guess that's ok. I prefer some of the older horror movies compared to the newer stuff.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger The Sci-Fi Fanatic said...

Stream of consciousness is the way to go sometimes. I find that more and more I allow myself to simply write about what is of interest to me. If for some reason I'm looking at a particular series (Fringe) and I suddenly lose interest then I have to let it go for awhile.

So, good for you.
sff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home